Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru sou desu yo

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

BionicMeerkat
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru sou desu yo

Post by BionicMeerkat »

Not going to quote since its a lot of text, but Kemm was the one who wrote on the Mondaiji page talking about the Japanese Wiki having a separate section for the short stories as you can see here. When the volume was first released, everyone was questioning its position, and a couple people asked about if it should be a separate section or left in. Even Firebird has referred to Then, Rabbit Heads Towards Purgatory as Volume 9. I can ask Firebird and magref to see what their take on the situation is if that is what you would like.

If the short story section is such a hassle for people, then I can propose making (another) shift, deleting that section and then just making the Volume 8.5 or something along those lines. I know that it will be hard to find a solution that pleases everyone but it has to be done.
BT Wiki is same as my username! Please check out a Production Crew I'm part of @ Eta Carinae Productions!

Editor for Strike the Blood, Maou na Ore, Black Bullet, Mondaiji, Rakudai

RIP in pieces Black Bullet, StB
Rezel
Edit-Translator [101-AETB]
Favourite Light Novel: Mahouka, Mondaiji, Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance

Post by Rezel »

I think that 9vol is just flashback. It was write to made little pause after huge cliffhanger and to easily explain conten of vols 10-12(like revieve of Izayoi and etc). So we(ru translators) consider this vol as 9th and not Side story.
Ru translator/editor for Mahouka and Mondaiji
BionicMeerkat
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BionicMeerkat »

Rezel wrote:I think that 9vol is just flashback. It was write to made little pause after huge cliffhanger and to easily explain conten of vols 10-12(like revieve of Izayoi and etc). So we(ru translators) consider this vol as 9th and not Side story.
To my knowledge all the content in the volume is a flashback, and took place throughout the prior volumes. Might explain why people are constantly complaining about why we are translating it, but the bounty of info we can get from it is rather nice.

Nobody else has responded to this, so I guess I'll just ask Firebird and Magref what they think.

We have 2/3 options: 1) Leave it alone
2) Revert back to Volume 9 (which would be a huge pain in the ass for me, but idfc)
3) Make a compromise, just label it Volume 8.5

if anyone has any other options, feel free to voice them.
BT Wiki is same as my username! Please check out a Production Crew I'm part of @ Eta Carinae Productions!

Zefyris
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zefyris »

Since except if someone can present a logical reason for excluding that volume of the main count, it should definitely remain in the main count, it's either putting it back at 9 or at 8,5, either way seems fine. I don't think there is other way anyway.

Also, for peoples complaining, every single of those short stories has either a thing or a character that will be used in the remaining part of the arc, so they are all useful.
BionicMeerkat
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BionicMeerkat »

Screw it. I didn't bother to consult with Firebird and Magref about the Volume numbering and all that jazz. I'm just going to do option 3 and just make it Volume 8.5. There shouldn't be any issues since no volume for Mondaiji has held that number before, but what a pain in the ass this transfer is going to be. I'll do it some time this week, probably Wednesday or something.

So much stuff to do... At least it's almost Summer I guess

Rage_Ender
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Mondaiji; Campione; Mushoku Tensei; Black Bullet

Post by Rage_Ender »

Just use what officially it is named...... until the author/publisher said something else.
dun dun dun..>!!!!!!<
BionicMeerkat
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BionicMeerkat »

Zefyris wrote:Since except if someone can present a logical reason for excluding that volume of the main count, it should definitely remain in the main count, it's either putting it back at 9 or at 8,5, either way seems fine. I don't think there is other way anyway.

Also, for peoples complaining, every single of those short stories has either a thing or a character that will be used in the remaining part of the arc, so they are all useful.
Yeah I mean I can see why people want the main story to be translated before the SS, but the SS contain a bunch of information that will be useful from then on. Even when I tell them that they just say "So?" and I'm just like :/
Rage_Ender wrote:Just use what officially it is named...... until the author/publisher said something else.
Yeah, I would make it Volume 9 again but that takes wayyyyyyy too much effort. I'm just going to make it 8.5. In hindsight, I should have just done that since it works great for Oregairu. If people complain, then it's whatever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zefyris
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zefyris »

Well those peoples are basically asking to read what happens at the end without waiting to read for what is supposed to be read before that. I'd say, if what they want is to skip stuff to immediately read what happens next, they may as well just go and read spoilers that are everywhere about what happens next. Because that's not how you read a story properly~.
8.5 feels somewhat fine since it properly put back the volume in the flow of the main story AND it properly indicate ebtween which volume you're supposed to read it.
The only downside is that if someone talk about volume 10, we won't know if he's counting that volume at 8.5 or 9, and therefore which volume he's talking about. So for conversations between readers, this will bring confusion, which could bring some peoples being spoiled by other by mistake as well. Outside of that specific point, 8.5 achieve a satisfying role.

About what rage ender says, I think what he wanted to say is "since there are no numbers on the title officially, simply remove every single number all together" ?
That's an option too, I think? This would solve everything as well, since the translator wouldn't make the choice anymore, leaving the readers the choice to call them whatever they want.
(note : BTW for Oregairu, the volumes are numbered that way from the start, there is really a 6.5 , 7.5 and 10.5 on the cover so it's a bit different)
Rezel

Post by Rezel »

BionicMeerkat wrote:
Rage_Ender wrote:Just use what officially it is named...... until the author/publisher said something else.
Yeah, I would make it Volume 9 again but that takes wayyyyyyy too much effort. I'm just going to make it 8.5. In hindsight, I should have just done that since it works great for Oregairu. If people complain, then it's whatever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rewert changes wont work?

Maybe admininstrators can help you?
BionicMeerkat
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BionicMeerkat »

Zefyris wrote:Well those peoples are basically asking to read what happens at the end without waiting to read for what is supposed to be read before that. I'd say, if what they want is to skip stuff to immediately read what happens next, they may as well just go and read spoilers that are everywhere about what happens next. Because that's not how you read a story properly~.
8.5 feels somewhat fine since it properly put back the volume in the flow of the main story AND it properly indicate between which volume you're supposed to read it.
The only downside is that if someone talk about volume 10, we won't know if he's counting that volume at 8.5 or 9, and therefore which volume he's talking about. So for conversations between readers, this will bring confusion, which could bring some peoples being spoiled by other by mistake as well. Outside of that specific point, 8.5 achieve a satisfying role.

About what rage ender says, I think what he wanted to say is "since there are no numbers on the title officially, simply remove every single number all together" ?
That's an option too, I think? This would solve everything as well, since the translator wouldn't make the choice anymore, leaving the readers the choice to call them whatever they want.
(note : BTW for Oregairu, the volumes are numbered that way from the start, there is really a 6.5 , 7.5 and 10.5 on the cover so it's a bit different)
Ah yeah I know, I mean hell we are entering the juicy parts of the story before we enter the
Spoiler! :
timeskip
so I can see where they are coming from. I'm just trying to convey to them that while the volume is just full of short stories, it is still very important to the... lore? Whatever you want to call it, especially since I want to revamp the terms and such for Mondaiji, so throughout the summer I will be reading over everything and takes notes. Obviously any errors or inconsistencies I find will be fixed and noted, but I figure it would be a nice thing to add.

Granted, I have yet to try and see if I can tinker with the nav bar so that it would display the SS volume in between Volume 8 and 9. That was what I was aiming for but due to finals and work I haven't had much of a chance to tinker with it. I don't understand what you mean about the confusion about if people are talking about volume 10 and such. At this point it should be very obvious which volume they are talking about, especially if the order goes 8.5 -> 9 -> 10. Just tried to make it go Volume 8 -> SS -> Vol 9, and it does not work. Looks like 8.5 is the de facto leader in what I might have to do to fix this ordeal.

Removing the numbers entirely is a very interesting option, but I have no clue how it would be reflected on the nav bar. I can tinker with it, but currently I'm leaning towards just doing 8.5 since I don't want the readers and such to complain about the order. Didn't want to inconvenience them and such. We are all here to read a great light novel after all :mrgreen:

Yeah I know that about Oregairu. I've been following it zealously since I first heard about it and read it haha. I just referenced Oregairu because that order makes the most sense. Still goes in order of the "flow" of the story, but since it isn't exactly "main story" per say, it makes perfect sense to not give it the next number in the order and to just meet it halfway.
Rezel wrote: Rewert changes wont work?

Maybe admininstrators can help you?
It would have worked, but now that some stuff has been added we are just going to have a bunch of floating pages. A solution would be to delete the pages, but I would have to make sure to copy and paste all the work that has been done so that way I don't delete the chapters and go "Where the f*** did the text go? Ohhhhh yeahhhhh...brb killing myself." C + P isn't that hard, so that is an option lmfao

I've bugged Cthaeh about how to do the change to Short Stories for like 14 days before I made the switch from Volume 9 -> SS. Hell, I was still consulting him on the day I made the move. I have no clue how annoyed/irritated he must have felt because of my constant pms and messages on his wall, but I know I was absolutely disgusted with myself when it was all said and done. If push comes to shove and I somehow mess up something, I'm definitely going to ask for them to help out.

NOTE: Also, just to make it clear to everyone, I am not angry/hostile/aggravated by this situation. In fact, I would say I am very happy that people are discussing this. I always ask for feedback and such whenever I transfer magrefs text (although I have no clue if I can even claim that anymore since magref has a wiki account now) so this back and forth is a very nice change of pace. So if I came off as hostile, that was most definitely not my intention. I just want everyone to have the best reading experience possible. Will it take a lot of time? Sure, but in my eyes the outcome far outweighs the time spent on it.

Zefyris
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zefyris »

Don't worry, you didn't seem hostile at all, quite the contrary.
So, what has the translator to say about the matter btw? IIRC the initial change was coming from him right?
Kaarme
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kaarme »

For whatever it's worth, I don't mind at all the team releasing the short stories first, especially since they were published first, so it makes more or less sense to translate them in order even if they aren't strictly chronologically tied to the current proceedings in the greater story. The translators themselves wanting to skip them would be the only valid reason to let them be. Personally I've enjoyed reading them immensely, just like I've enjoyed reading every single chapter so far.

Everybody knows that going back and redoing stuff is one of the most annoying things in life, so you have my sympathies about the whole volume numbering dilemma. But such things happen.
Rezel

Post by Rezel »

Today was released cover for Last Embryo vol.1 Return of Problem children.
Spoiler! :
Will be name of topic and series changed to "Mondaiji-series"/"Problem children series"?
BionicMeerkat
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BionicMeerkat »

Zefyris wrote:Don't worry, you didn't seem hostile at all, quite the contrary.
So, what has the translator to say about the matter btw? IIRC the initial change was coming from him right?

No, this isn't coming from Firebird or Magref if that is what you are referring to. I still need to contact them since I was busy with finals and work but now that both are done as of this morning, summer vacation has started for me so I can buckle down and get work done. :mrgreen:

The one who wrote about the change was Kemm. I worked with him on Maou and he is a translator, so I know Kemm isn't pulling bs out of his ass. I won't make any changes until I hear a response from Firebird or magref.
Kaarme wrote:For whatever it's worth, I don't mind at all the team releasing the short stories first, especially since they were published first, so it makes more or less sense to translate them in order even if they aren't strictly chronologically tied to the current proceedings in the greater story. The translators themselves wanting to skip them would be the only valid reason to let them be. Personally I've enjoyed reading them immensely, just like I've enjoyed reading every single chapter so far.

Everybody knows that going back and redoing stuff is one of the most annoying things in life, so you have my sympathies about the whole volume numbering dilemma. But such things happen.
Yeah like I said before, it sucks but the outcome far outweighs the time spent on it. Yeah magref from the get go said as long as he was translating then that means he is going in order of release date.
Rezel wrote:Today was released cover for Last Embryo vol.1 Return of Problem children.
Spoiler! :
Will be name of topic and series changed to "Mondaiji-series"/"Problem children series"?
I don't think the name of the topic or series will change. If anything, it just means that I would make a new section on the Wiki stating "Mondaiji Part 2" or something like that. Unless we do something like what Toaru did, make a separate page for the 2nd series and just leave a link to the first series in the description. I'm all ears for this, although for stuff like this I would leave it to Firebirds decision since Fire has the final say as Project Manager :3

Rezel

Post by Rezel »

I`m prefer new section.

Return to “English”