Seikoku no Ryuu Kishi

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading Seikoku no Ryuu Kishi ?

It was good! Please do more!
98%
It was interesting.
2%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
0%

Total votes: 696

TJYYEO
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Seikoku no Ryuu Kishi

Post by TJYYEO »

Anyone knew what does this ドルアーマ means? Couldn't finds any source related.
Also could anyone tell me how to translate the 聖法 in 聖法大学院???
Wolfpup
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Wolfpup »

denormative wrote:
yoyoyo5678 wrote:I saw it - the drawing is very poor :(
At least it seems better then that Mahou Sensou(?) anime from last season; though my disgust at it's execution may be colouring my opinion of it's art...

It's certainly simplified in comparison to the novel, though it did remind me that I can't recall seeing illustrations of some of the characters in the novels, at least not in colour. I think Jessica is only in black-and-white; and the dragon-obsessed teacher/researcher appears to be wearing a rather stripperiffic outfit in the anime, but I can't recall seeing a picture of her in the novels. :?

Most noticeable re-imaging has to be Ash, who now actually looks like a high-school male, rather then a clone of Kouta from Kanokon. :P Though ironically my first reaction was he looked like Keita from Inukami without his collar. (Appropriate since Keita also suffers from a fiery companion that claims to be his master. :P )

Other thoughts:

There's only one example of the 'normal' seikoku shown in the novels it seems (other then Ash's abnormal one), so it seems they used that for everyone. :( I'm surprised there's only been one example in the novels, given how much skin the girls show at times you'd think it would have been visible on some of them; then again I get the feeling the author/artist forgot about it after v2. :P

For some reason the short intro-bit reminded me of Tenchi Muyo, no idea why. :?

That anime insists on rewriting the order of info dumps to front load them is starting to annoy me; especially when it's introducing things 4+ novels ahead of time.

If the Funimation translations are vaguely official, it's going to be a pain going through re-editing what's currently been translated; there's a lot of fundamental changes. :(
Concerning the Funimation TL of the anime actually they are OVER westernizing it plus there are omitted scenes(they are a lot more ecchi). not the fansub group I do encoding for (this anime I am doing the encodes for) is actually going over the Funi subs and HEAVILY re-doing them so that they are much better.
Example of one change :
Funi translation -> fafnierite
our translation -> Bright Dragon Crystals
The person(groups TLC) that is going over the script even said this better fist what is being said and more closely matched the actual kanji.

Plus we are using the LN's here for reference in helping us better fix the funi script. So personally I think the way this novel is being done is the better way and people here should not pay attention to how Funi is doing the subs because they are just to horrid. This opinion is not just mine but most fansubers will agree on this point. If any one would like to know which sub group I'm working with you can send me a pm as I feel this would be better than just posting the name of the group here.
Always on the hunt for good Anime and their associated Light Novels, Manga. :)
Wolfpup
Senior Project Editor

Post by Wolfpup »

denormative wrote:Also, having watched the AT-X version, it's kinda obvious what 2-minute segment Funimation's broadcast will cut out this time. >.<

Having now found the novel image, I'm still trying to work out how they got http://imgur.com/L5QICgQ from http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... v1_113.jpg Angela-sensei's original outfit wasn't exactly the most conservative but her anime one is even less so. :?

Also, for some reason I keep being reminded of Tenchi Muyo in the stylings of the Dragonweiss and Arks and such; maybe one of the character designers or storyboarders worked on that way back when or something. :/
The anime is listed as an ecchi type which means there is going to be things that are more provocative and the Funi version is going to be cencored(scenes cut) compared to the A-TX version. With this being an ecchi anime some of the things that will be worn are going to be a lot more 'provocative.'
now here is another difference between how things are in the LN and the anime
LH version of Rebecca with her Arc suit and weapon -> http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... 06-007.jpg
anime version -> http://wilsontech.dyndns.org/images/Reb ... Blough.png

notice that her Arc Weapon(Gale Blough) is the size of a modern locomotive in the anime while in the LN it is about the same size as a lance.
Wolfpup
Senior Project Editor

Post by Wolfpup »

chancs wrote:The second episode was a complete let down. :(

*Counting*

1. Didn't like princess' voice. Too mature
2. Didn't like Eco's voice.
3. Didn't like Eco character... shape. Just toooo skiny.
4. The professor... the hell with her dress. Forget her massive boing boings (... just too big breasts), that dress is just too much. Why don't producers understand that there are children also watching the anime? No sense of culture. *feels that they are frustrated with their social life*
5. Too much deviated from the novel.

In short, better to forget the anime. Novel is good
1. to me the way she sounds is very much like she seems to be @ the beginning of the LN's even though she dose 'soften' after a couple of volumes.
2. I think Eco's voice is meant to be kind of irritating but will soften over time like she is in the LN's even though she still is arrogant.
3. Actually in the anime Eco has a little more 'development' than the way she is drawn in the LN's.
4. this is airing on A-TX and late in the evening so it is targeted for more the teenagers/young adults so having some 'boing'(even if it is over the top) is not so bad.
5. have you ever seen any anime that stayed extremely close to the LN/Manga version.

Me personally I take each format as its own version, because if you look there are even differences between the LN and Manga versions. the LN and manga are a format that hast to entice you to want to read them while the anime is meant to entertain you to keep you interested.
Aurst
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Aurst »

TJYYEO wrote:Sup guys, it had been some time since I appeared in any of the posts. Though it had already passed summer, well, it is because I broke my dominant arm in an accident and was asked to not overused it until it was fully healed. Now the cast had been removed and I will be ready to get back in actions in a couple more weeks. Look forward to it then!
Glad to hear that you're back and better. Looking forward to the new translations and thanks for the work man.
TJYYEO
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by TJYYEO »

TJYYEO wrote:Anyone knew what does this ドルアーマ means?
Anyone here knew French or Irish Gaelic or German? This are the few languages that the author likes to make references from.
Azyrion
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier

Post by Azyrion »

Well I'm from Germany but can also speak French, so if I can help out a bit just tell me^^
TJYYEO
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by TJYYEO »

Azyrion wrote:Well I'm from Germany but can also speak French, so if I can help out a bit just tell me^^
Someone Pm me and said that ドルアーマ (Do-ru-aa-ma) sounds like German. They give me some examples like Dallmayr, Dallmeier, Dallmeyer. :?
Also, someone told me that it was the French Dall'Erma, Dall'Eima :?
I have no idea what they means and how to pronounce them. So can you tell me which had the closest pronunciation to its Japanese counterpart and which sounds more like a name of a goddess.
Now I am regretting for not taking up any romance language...
Azyrion

Post by Azyrion »

TJYYEO wrote:
Azyrion wrote:Well I'm from Germany but can also speak French, so if I can help out a bit just tell me^^
Someone Pm me and said that ドルアーマ (Do-ru-aa-ma) sounds like German. They give me some examples like Dallmayr, Dallmeier, Dallmeyer. :?
Also, someone told me that it was the French Dall'Erma, Dall'Eima :?
I have no idea what they means and how to pronounce them. So can you tell me which had the closest pronunciation to its Japanese counterpart and which sounds more like a name of a goddess.
Now I am regretting for not taking up any romance language...

Well for the German words:

Those are German family names at least the last two are. All three are pronounced similarly like Dall-mai-a. So none of those sounds close to Do-ru-aa-ma even if we assume that the "r" here is pronounced like a "l".

And those supposedly French words don't sound French at all and I have no idea what those mean or how they are spoken/pronounced.

If you could give me the meaning and the context of this word I could try to find if there are German/French words for it.
TJYYEO
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by TJYYEO »

Azyrion wrote:If you could give me the meaning and the context of this word I could try to find if there are German/French words for it.
That's the problem, I ran over many dictionaries and couldn't find even a single clue regarding it. You can find it on page 17 in the fifth volume. However, even after I search the web, the results were only Japanese who use it as their user names.
Dalam
Favourite Light Novel: CSR

Post by Dalam »

Just curious if this is still alive. >.>
Find me on Hongfire if you want to chat more about stuff here. =V
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

少女の佇まいは、あたかも極北の地ドルアーマの氷河を削って制作した彫像を思わせた。
ドルアーマ doruaama... so "Glacier's of Doruaama", so it looks like it's a place name.

dol(l) (as in doll: ドル or dolmen: ドルメン)
dru (as in druid: ドルイド)
dor (as in Dorcas gazelle: ドルカスガゼル)
dal (as in Dalton's law: ドルトンの法則 )

So... dictionary isn't helpful either.

Have to wonder if it's just a modification of ドルアーガ (as in the game, "Tower of Druaga").
TJYYEO wrote:Anyone knew what does this ドルアーマ means? Couldn't finds any source related.
Also could anyone tell me how to translate the 聖法 in 聖法大学院???
Now that I've noticed this... if you're still unsure, what it's implying I'd call a "theological school" or "seminary" (this term is specifically restricted to schools for training priests/rabbi's/etc though, whereas the previous is any formal religious graduate or postgraduate instruction). If 聖 is the same character used for the 'Saint' referenced elsewhere, I'd go for something like "Saint's Laws (whatever you're going with for the 'graduate school' part)", 法科大学院 is used for "Law School" so I'm guessing that's the pattern the author was working off, but "Saint's Law School" sounds off. :? Otherwise, just something like "Holy Scripture (Training Institution or whatever)"?
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Wolfpup wrote:notice that her Arc Weapon(Gale Blough) is the size of a modern locomotive in the anime while in the LN it is about the same size as a lance.
There's probably a standard disclaimer-asterisk somewhere in that scene with a 6-point font message at the bottom of the screen mentioning something about "exaggerated with creative licence; weaponry may not be to size; effects may be overly showy" or something. Like pretty much every anime combat scene. :P

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A1e_Bulg :P Though technically we use the Bolg version I think in our translation; but that's probably because it's the standard version in Japanese translation. We can probably blame the original final fantasy translators for that.
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
TJYYEO
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by TJYYEO »

denormative wrote: Now that I've noticed this... if you're still unsure, what it's implying I'd call a "theological school" or "seminary" (this term is specifically restricted to schools for training priests/rabbi's/etc though, whereas the previous is any formal religious graduate or postgraduate instruction). If 聖 is the same character used for the 'Saint' referenced elsewhere, I'd go for something like "Saint's Laws (whatever you're going with for the 'graduate school' part)", 法科大学院 is used for "Law School" so I'm guessing that's the pattern the author was working off, but "Saint's Law School" sounds off. :? Otherwise, just something like "Holy Scripture (Training Institution or whatever)"?
According to my knowledge , 聖 may mean holy, saint or even divine. 法 may mean, way, method, law, etc. However, when 聖法 are used together, it actually bears a different meaning. Something like, 'biblical law' or the rules set by god. Or sometimes, in the culture means an ordered rules given my the emperor. Maybe I should just leave it in kana.
But then.... How do I pronounce it? At first I though it was せいほう.... But then the internet dictionary weblio told me that it was called ひじりほう :?: ???
eddtng
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by eddtng »

I can't wait to read the entire volume 5, if my memory is correct this is the one with development between Ash and Silvia isn't it? Been waiting for this for so long.

Return to “English”