High School DxD Vol. 1-17 + SS (PDF)

General discussion related to this novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

friedyams
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: High School DxD Vol. 1-9, 11-12 + SS (PDF)

Post by friedyams »

Thanks a lot for the fix dude :D . Now I just got to wait for the guy to do baka-test :D.
Eridal
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Eridal »

Honestly been debating posting these since it seems a bit rude as there is already someone doing pdf's of this series. But I decided it was more rude to not post them since a lot of other peoples work went into doing the translations and editing.

I created these pdf's for two basic reasons.

First, I wasn't happy with the original design which had massively oversized images in comparison to the normal page sizes. This is something which seems common here but it makes it harder to read them because it makes most pdf viewers when sizing to page width to use the images as the guidelines and you couldn't read the pages as a result. So I had to use zoom which worked ok but it was easy to shift the position to the right or left by accident and move the page out of view. It was a minor annoyance true but added to my natural desire to learn new things was enough for me to want to redo them.

Second, it allowed to me learn a lot more on how to use LaTeX as I ended up creating a new class which is able to quickly create a pdf file of any light novel with only minor tweaks. It is not specific to this series either so I can very easily create pdf's for any series with only minor editing using macros/regular expressions to reformat the wiki version to LaTeX.

The basic design principle behind my version is to basically make them look more like paper books and to size the images based on the page size rather than the original image size. I also plan to create an alternate version which is sized for 10" tablets and already have some prototypes but they do not have the edits I made with the newer batch which I made available here. Speaking of edits I kept them to a minimum overall but I did remove most if not all inline translations and put the translation into a footnote at the bottom of that page (e.g. kouhai(Junior) would be changed to just kouhai and a footnote added to the bottom of the page with the translation). Other than that I did not edit for grammar or spelling so they should read almost exactly like the wiki versions.

So without further ado the files are linked below.

Link to files Volume 1-9, 11, 12
13man18
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by 13man18 »

Not at all man. It's not rude. Everyone has their own preferences. you know what they say, the more the merrier. :lol: I'll post your PDF's on the front page and I'll also have a link to your post.
Important: All my PDFs got taken down a while and it's a pain to reupload them, so I'm not going to do that. PDF making days are gone. I've been getting busy these days. ;-;
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Eridal wrote:Honestly been debating posting these since it seems a bit rude as there is already someone doing pdf's of this series. But I decided it was more rude to not post them since a lot of other peoples work went into doing the translations and editing.
It's fine. I think we're the only two people automating the process, and there's usually a few people producing manual ones as well. A little competition never hurts, and by the look of what you're doing, you're going in a different direction to me anyway. :)
Eridal wrote:First, I wasn't happy with the original design which had massively oversized images in comparison to the normal page sizes. This is something which seems common here but it makes it harder to read them because it makes most pdf viewers when sizing to page width to use the images as the guidelines and you couldn't read the pages as a result. So I had to use zoom which worked ok but it was easy to shift the position to the right or left by accident and move the page out of view. It was a minor annoyance true but added to my natural desire to learn new things was enough for me to want to redo them.
Interesting. I always read mine fullscreen/singlepage on my ipad/ipod, or have them set to be viewed as 'single page' (rather then 'continuous') when reading them on the computer. I've actually had support for this 'resize to A4 page' feature in my code since before I started doing the DxD pdfs (I started with Campione!), but never enabled it since the way it works is different to your method and I didn't think it was necessary.

You seem to be rescaling them to 595x842 points (assuming you're using A4 rather then letter), whereas I recalculate an as-close-to-a4-page-size page that meets the aspect ratio of the original image, and tell it to draw in it at the original resolution. This produces an 'A4'-ish sized page, but you don't lose the resolution so you can zoom in with less pixelation. (Note: This isn't the pdfs available on mediafire, they're not bothering to do that manipulation at the moment.)

Anyway, I'll turn it on in my code when I start producing newer versions, since I can't think of any negative side effects.
Eridal wrote:Second, it allowed to me learn a lot more on how to use LaTeX as I ended up creating a new class which is able to quickly create a pdf file of any light novel with only minor tweaks. It is not specific to this series either so I can very easily create pdf's for any series with only minor editing using macros/regular expressions to reformat the wiki version to LaTeX.
Yay! <3 LaTeX! <3

... ahem.

Oh, and regexps? Just make sure you don't promise to do any series with fancy html such as Baka to Test. :P I'm currently completely rewriting my parsing engine because I decided against my common sense to do exactly the same thing: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2009/1 ... u-way.html

Took me about 10 hours worth of coding to handle wiki markup and minor html for Campione! and DxD, and I'd say I'm easily over 100 hours handling obscure corners of the HTML spec to get BtT loading+rendering correctly. At least I'm building in some flexibility with my rewrite so I can output epubs and/or odf files so people can create manual pdfs a little easier.
Eridal wrote:The basic design principle behind my version is to basically make them look more like paper books and to size the images based on the page size rather than the original image size. I also plan to create an alternate version which is sized for 10" tablets and already have some prototypes but they do not have the edits I made with the newer batch which I made available here.
Just for reference, while the image quality was fine for the resolution on my iphone/ipod (though it was just becoming pixelated/blurry due to screen rez), the text was a touch too small to read comfortably. Are you targeting these for 7" tablets? I imagine the text (10 point?) would be fine for 10" tabs, but you probably want to look at getting TeX to embed higher rez images into your pdfs that are scaled to the A4 page, that way it won't look as bad as when (for example) a 842 vertical pixel image is stretched to 1024 pixels (or the iPad3's ludicrous 2048 vertical pixels...).
Eridal wrote:Speaking of edits I kept them to a minimum overall but I did remove most if not all inline translations and put the translation into a footnote at the bottom of that page (e.g. kouhai(Junior) would be changed to just kouhai and a footnote added to the bottom of the page with the translation). Other than that I did not edit for grammar or spelling so they should read almost exactly like the wiki versions.
Those kouhai(Junior) inlines shouldn't be in there anyway. :( I keep meaning to remember to grep through and fix them up with <ref> tags if they're that important to keep.

Also you may wish to check in the Campione! PDF thread as well, there's a python script in there I wrote there that will allow you to extract all the editors of a particular novel; it should help making up your credits page since often the actual editors aren't necessarily the ones listed on the wikipage (since some come, go, and some don't register themselves.)
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
Eridal
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Eridal »

denormative wrote:It's fine. I think we're the only two people automating the process, and there's usually a few people producing manual ones as well. A little competition never hurts, and by the look of what you're doing, you're going in a different direction to me anyway. :)
I love doing automation like this and I tend to spend a lot of time just tweaking my code :p

I actually had working copies for about 3 weeks but kept messing with the coding so I kept having to remake them...
denormative wrote:Interesting. I always read mine fullscreen/singlepage on my ipad/ipod, or have them set to be viewed as 'single page' (rather then 'continuous') when reading them on the computer. I've actually had support for this 'resize to A4 page' feature in my code since before I started doing the DxD pdfs (I started with Campione!), but never enabled it since the way it works is different to your method and I didn't think it was necessary.
On the iPad or a tablet problems like sizing issues are usually irrelvant or with certain viewers which size entire pages based on the current page. But some like to size based on the largest page in the entire file and that's where issues tend to arise. An example of a viewer that does this is PDF X-Change.
denormative wrote:You seem to be rescaling them to 595x842 points (assuming you're using A4 rather then letter), whereas I recalculate an as-close-to-a4-page-size page that meets the aspect ratio of the original image, and tell it to draw in it at the original resolution. This produces an 'A4'-ish sized page, but you don't lose the resolution so you can zoom in with less pixelation. (Note: This isn't the pdfs available on mediafire, they're not bothering to do that manipulation at the moment.)

Anyway, I'll turn it on in my code when I start producing newer versions, since I can't think of any negative side effects.
I'm not resizing my resolution per se but instead I'm resizing based on DPI and size, not quite the same but in this case my DPI is probably too low. The current versions use a lower DPI to keep the file size down more or less but I'm probably going to increase my DPI in the updated versions when I finish my tablet version. I'll let Ghostscript do the compression as it's very good at it if you use the right image formats.
denormative wrote:Yay! <3 LaTeX! <3

... ahem.
LaTeX is a wonderful system because of it I rarely use Word anymore :p
Though technically I'm using xelatex since running these through regular LaTeX is a pain in the ass because of all the unicode characters which can't be rendered properly using it.
denormative wrote:Oh, and regexps? Just make sure you don't promise to do any series with fancy html such as Baka to Test. :P I'm currently completely rewriting my parsing engine because I decided against my common sense to do exactly the same thing: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2009/1 ... u-way.html

Took me about 10 hours worth of coding to handle wiki markup and minor html for Campione! and DxD, and I'd say I'm easily over 100 hours handling obscure corners of the HTML spec to get BtT loading+rendering correctly. At least I'm building in some flexibility with my rewrite so I can output epubs and/or odf files so people can create manual pdfs a little easier.
I'll pass on those for now then though if worse came to worse that's what manual edits are for :p
denormative wrote:Just for reference, while the image quality was fine for the resolution on my iphone/ipod (though it was just becoming pixelated/blurry due to screen rez), the text was a touch too small to read comfortably. Are you targeting these for 7" tablets? I imagine the text (10 point?) would be fine for 10" tabs, but you probably want to look at getting TeX to embed higher rez images into your pdfs that are scaled to the A4 page, that way it won't look as bad as when (for example) a 842 vertical pixel image is stretched to 1024 pixels (or the iPad3's ludicrous 2048 vertical pixels...).
Text is 12pt on the current versions which was designed for desktops. The tablet version will be using much smaller paper sizes which will make up for the text size. Here's a sample of what I'm planning for my tablet versions. It's missing some of my newer features like the credits page and is built on my old template before I created a cls file to do all this. I am also thinking of just moving the font size of the normal versions up since it does look a bit small even on desktops. I've started on Accel World doing that and it seems to look a bit better with the larger font. Link to first volume of Accel World.
denormative wrote:Those kouhai(Junior) inlines shouldn't be in there anyway. :( I keep meaning to remember to grep through and fix them up with <ref> tags if they're that important to keep.

Also you may wish to check in the Campione! PDF thread as well, there's a python script in there I wrote there that will allow you to extract all the editors of a particular novel; it should help making up your credits page since often the actual editors aren't necessarily the ones listed on the wikipage (since some come, go, and some don't register themselves.)
Luckily it's not common to use () around most things in this light novel so it's a quick use of regexp to change them just a matter of deciding which to keep and which to get rid of. And yeah I agree that they shouldn't be in there as they break the flow of reading when the translation is placed inline in my opinion. As for the script I'll make sure to check it out and thanks for the info.
Emiya Kevin
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Emiya Kevin »

I hate to break the conversation those 2 are having, but it seems Volume 10 is finally done!!!! So, good luck creating the PDF while us, laymen, patiently wait for your superb versions... See you in around 3-4 days!!!
swiftelf
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Too many.

Post by swiftelf »

It looks like the Full Text version of Volume 10 is done.
I call upon the wind, let it's raging fury destroy my foes!

Editor, daily columnist, book and video game reviewer at Game Industry News, founder of Windborne's Story Eatery at windbornesword.wordpress.com
13man18
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by 13man18 »

Yes. I'll have it by the weekend. Hopefully on Friday.
Important: All my PDFs got taken down a while and it's a pain to reupload them, so I'm not going to do that. PDF making days are gone. I've been getting busy these days. ;-;
Eridal
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Eridal »

Here's volume 10 for those who just can't wait :p

I'll try and update it with any new edits which come down the line later this week or next as I have time.

==ADDED==

As a special bonus here's a tablet version of volume 10. Sometime this week, likely this weekend, I'll finish tablet versions of all the other versions. The current tablet version is designed specifically for a 16:9-10 10" tablet. If demand is high enough I will make a special version for the iPad's 4:3 ratio display.
ponkung
Astral Realm

Post by ponkung »

Please help me check if anyone who redownload pdf vol 7 and still missing Life 3 part 7 or not ?

It's at page 118, after Part 6 (and Akeno Picture), it is still skip to the Odin chapter.

Thank you in advance.
swiftelf
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Too many.

Post by swiftelf »

@ Eridal
I'd love for an iPad version.
I call upon the wind, let it's raging fury destroy my foes!

Editor, daily columnist, book and video game reviewer at Game Industry News, founder of Windborne's Story Eatery at windbornesword.wordpress.com
Eridal
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Eridal »

==Updates==

Updated all volumes to larger font size.
Replaced inline translations with footnotes in Volume 10 and 12.
Finished tablet versions for all currently translated Highschool DxD volumes.

Tablet Versions [Designed for 10" Tablets with a 16:9 or 16:10 Ratio]

Highschool DxD - SS - My First Errand [Ophis Volume]
http://www.mediafire.com/?xmcmp779tzagmuw

Highschool DxD - Volume 01 - Diabolus of the Old School Building
http://www.mediafire.com/?brdhyyrlzd6xzgn

Highschool DxD - Volume 02 - Phoenix of the Battle School Building
http://www.mediafire.com/?rt5lubjcz0au1ti

Highschool DxD - Volume 03 - Excalibur of the Moonlit Schoolyard
http://www.mediafire.com/?hzw4pm8w6t7dx1c

Highschool DxD - Volume 04 - Vampire of the Suspended Classroom
http://www.mediafire.com/?cducte9grm2tx6e

Highschool DxD - Volume 05 - Hellcat of the Underworld Training Camp
http://www.mediafire.com/?f7pkd86b6lrctf6

Highschool DxD - Volume 06 - Holy behind the Gymnasium
http://www.mediafire.com/?jxvb5mhxt113tss

Highschool DxD - Volume 07 - Ragnarok After the School
http://www.mediafire.com/?994999gane198ht

Highschool DxD - Volume 08 - Devil's Job
http://www.mediafire.com/?w3qf087c5su1d72

Highschool DxD - Volume 09 - Pandemonium at the School Trip
http://www.mediafire.com/?7ou01ezz6c0bxz9

Highschool DxD - Volume 10 - Lion Heart of the School Festival
http://www.mediafire.com/?63x5a2fygx6ug0r

Highschool DxD - Volume 11 - Uroboros and the Promotion Test
http://www.mediafire.com/?nvvjyvsopppq3cw

Highschool DxD - Volume 12 - Heroes of Supplementary Lessons
http://www.mediafire.com/?hunqogdwavol5co
13man18
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: High School DxD Vol. 1-12 + SS (PDF)

Post by 13man18 »

YAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY

Volume 10 is done and up. I'm pretty sure there's no mistakes, but if there are, please tell me. and Eridal, I didn't know if you wanted me to take down your previous PDFs or leave them up there, so I just left them there plus added your new versions.

Hope you guys enjoy it. :D
Eridal
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Eridal »

13man18 wrote:YAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY

Volume 10 is done and up. I'm pretty sure there's no mistakes, but if there are, please tell me. and Eridal, I didn't know if you wanted me to take down your previous PDFs or leave them up there, so I just left them there plus added your new versions.

Hope you guys enjoy it. :D
URL did not change with updates to the desktop versions so no need to alter anything there. With the tablet versions there should now be two versions of each volume so it's fine to leave the original links up along with the new ones.
nicodpm
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by nicodpm »

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if someone could post something like pointers of the important stuff that happened on each volume. Because I stopped (1 month) at volume 8 to wait for the translations, and I only remember pieces of the previous volumes and now that I'm back at school I don't have that much time to read from the beginning. Please help I want to move on to the Kyoto trip .

Example: volume 1

- ise meets raynelle (Yuma) and gets killed
- Rias raicarned him as a devil (pawn)
- he meets the club members
- he stars working as a devil
- he meets Asia
- he is attacked by freed and protected by Asia
- they go save Asia
- Asia gets killed but later turned to devil as bishop
- Happy end

Return to “High School DxD”