Gakusen Toshi Asterisk - Names and Terminologies

Terminology Topics for specific Novels can be found here

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Gakusen Toshi Asterisk - Names and Terminologies

Post by setsuna86 »

This can seem to be a stupid question, but how can you Translation this ぐぬっ!? Here is the contest:
Spoiler! :
And then, to the fact that that swordsmanship was similar to Ayato’s ── in other words, to the Amagiri Bright Dragon Style.

「ぐぬっ!」

While scattering intense sparks, the Blue Dragon katana and the Ark Van Ders Modified collided. It was clearly Saya, who was pushing.
Kuratatsu
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Kuratatsu »

I went with "Guh!?", yep just doublechecked http://notcliche.com/rinjinbu/index.php ... _0004A.txt
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Kuratatsu wrote:I went with "Guh!?", yep just doublechecked http://notcliche.com/rinjinbu/index.php ... _0004A.txt
Thanks! I always have Problems with such things; I check in the Japanese Onomatopoeia Guide here on BT, but I didn't find it.
By the way, can you tell the difference between those two words: リジエネレイテイブ and リジェネレイティブ? I don't know if the two words have the same meaning in english. In Japanese the difference is the character and of the two words. So, I look in Internet and found that リジェネレイティブ means "regenerative"; but I don't know if リジエネレイテイブ has the same meaning.
Kuratatsu

Post by Kuratatsu »

I'm pretty sure it's a typo & yeah it's regenerative.
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

Kuratatsu wrote:Hopefully I'm not making a fool of myself again :roll: but I'm not sure how you got lock and loaded...
It's because I clearly suck at translating during lunchtime at work. :( I honestly have no idea how I got that either. I blame the eight MS Exchange boxes I was building at the time for degrading my IQ so much. :(
Kuratatsu wrote:How about "smoldering and scorched/singed-like smoke arose (is rising) from that body"
I'm pretty sure I ended up with what I did because phrasing like that felt clunky.
Kuratatsu wrote:Edit: for the other one I ended up with
小柄なSayaが巨大な銃器を構える様はそれだけでギャップがすごいが、それを片手で振り回す様は比較にならない衝撃度だ。
The appearance of the petite Saya setting up the enormous firearm was a great gap by itself but, the appearance of her wielding that with one hand is a degree of shock that is beyond comparison.
Ah, yeah, that makes more sense (a "visual gap" rather then a "physical gap") now there's the rest of the sentence is there. :)
Kuratatsu wrote:I'm pretty sure it's a typo & yeah it's regenerative.
Technically not a typo. Traditionally the 'small' characters in ruby are written normal size since they could get too small to read clearly otherwise. I think Gakusen only uses 'full size' ruby in katakana-only furigana words, but I've got another epub that uses it for all; both hiragana and katakana ruby. It's such a pain. :(
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Can you help me translate the japanese sentence here?
Spoiler! :
“Tsk, I understand. I owe you one.”

“It’s all right. You would have done the same if I were in trouble.”

Ayato’s words came from his true intentions, but Irene shook her head as if it was bothersome.

「そうはいかねぇんだよ……さっさと清算しとかねぇとやり辛くってしょうがねぇ」

To the stupefied Ayato and Priscilla, Irene took out her portable terminal after heaving a sigh again, and displayed a space window.

What was projected was the tournament table.
Such a Japanese is a Little difficult for me. Mainly the second half.
Kuratatsu

Post by Kuratatsu »

setsuna86 wrote:Can you help me translate the japanese sentence here?
Spoiler! :
“Tsk, I understand. I owe you one.”

“It’s all right. You would have done the same if I were in trouble.”

Ayato’s words came from his true intentions, but Irene shook her head as if it was bothersome.

「そうはいかねぇんだよ……さっさと清算しとかねぇとやり辛くってしょうがねぇ」

To the stupefied Ayato and Priscilla, Irene took out her portable terminal after heaving a sigh again, and displayed a space window.

What was projected was the tournament table.
Such a Japanese is a Little difficult for me. Mainly the second half.
All those dam kanees :? well I could be completely off on this but maybe it's
"(There’s) no way that's true......If I don't quickly settle (clear up) the debt it'll be difficult (later)"
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Can you help me with this: 再生能力者(リジエネレイテイブ)?
I already that the Katakana in リジエネレイテイブ (furigana) means Regenerative; but what about 再生能力者?

And after that there is also this sentence:
Spoiler! :
A Regenerative was a kind of Strega or Dante, who, as the name suggested, was able to restore his wounds. It was not to the extent of psychic healer, who could heal others’ wounds, but it was considered extremely rare class ability.

Although I said Regenerative, it’s from the best to the worst, but that’s quite something. Let alone wound restoration, if she is able to regenerate up to blood lost, then she is the highest class. She is probably even able to regenerate a loss part. It’s an unexpected hidden card.”<!-- 再生能力者といってもピンキリだが、あれはかなりのものだぞ。-->
Can you please TLC the part in bold (the raw sentence of that part is the japanese below)?
Kuratatsu

Post by Kuratatsu »

I can't word it better than regeneration-ability user, maybe denorm can come up with a cool term :lol: and the later is still what I think in the msg, a liberal translation would be "There's all sorts of things said to be regenerative but this one is quite something"
Detalz
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Detalz »

再生能力者 and リジエネレイテイブ mean the same thing. This is the part where it would be best to adopt a new term, 'Regenerative' or 'Regenerate' (the former being more viable since that's how the novel words it). I highly advise against using furigana text insertion for this term, in case you were planning on it.

My interpretation of the bolded sentence:
"Though the abilities of Regeneratives ranged in all scopes, hers was substantial."

Meh, time for me to finally get back to translating~
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Detalz wrote:再生能力者 and リジエネレイテイブ mean the same thing. This is the part where it would be best to adopt a new term, 'Regenerative' or 'Regenerate' (the former being more viable since that's how the novel words it). I highly advise against using furigana text insertion for this term, in case you were planning on it.

My interpretation of the bolded sentence:
"Though the abilities of Regeneratives ranged in all scopes, hers was substantial."

Meh, time for me to finally get back to translating~
On the part where you say not to use furigana text insertion, you're right; I also thought the same, since it would not look good. Anyway thanks. and good luck with Rakuin no Monsho.
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

How can you translate this Name: フラウエンロープ?
Kuratatsu

Post by Kuratatsu »

Is something wrong with Frauenlob?
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Kuratatsu wrote:Is something wrong with Frauenlob?
I also find the same Name, but because of some researches on Internet, I was not sure; thanks.
setsuna86
Haruhiist Sensei
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by setsuna86 »

Excuse me, but on the chapter 7, there are many words don't I want to know the meaning, so I ask here. Here are this words:
Spoiler! :
This is I translate certains words, but there are other parts that are empty.

*戦輪(チヤクラム) – ... (chakram)

*――十重壊(デイエス・フアネガ)! - ――Tenfold Destroyer (Diez Fanega)

*――単重壊(ウーノ・フアレガ) - ――Onefold Destroyer (Uno Fanega)

*──重獄葦(オレアガ・ペサード) - ── Heavy Hell Reed (Oreaga Pesado)

*設置型の防御能力 – Setting type Defense ability

*百葬重列(シエン・グエステイア)! - Hundred burial weight column (Cien Guesutia)

*──万重壊(デイエス・ミル・フアネガ)! - Ten thousand folds Destroyer (Diez Mil Fanega)!

*天霧辰明流中伝──〝矢汰烏〟 - Amagiri Bright Dragon Style, Intermediate Technique ── “...”

*天霧辰明流剣術中伝──“〝刳裡殻”〟 - Amagiri Bright Dragon Style, Sword Intermediate Technique ── “...”

*綻べ──栄裂の炎爪華(グロリオーサ)! - Flame Claw Flower (Gloriosa)!

*綻べ──大輪の爆耀華(ラフレシア)! - Come out ── ... (Rafflesia)!
Can you find their meaning in english?

Return to “Novel Series Terminology”