Creating an Afilliate's list of LN's

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

lp113
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Creating an Afilliate's list of LN's

Post by lp113 »

Have an idea on improving Baka-Tsuki?
Since this thread is about Suggestions to make B-T better, I placed this here.

Shouldn't B-T affiliate itself with other translation groups that do lightnovels? I really liked how B-T linked to cetranslation on the frontpage to expand this community to other translation groups. (I didn't even know this group existed) Isn't it B-T's goal to expand the publicity of light novels to get them published in the language that promotes the most amount of interest from its readers? It would be awesome to see series listed on the left under a sub group (Affilates) [just like how theres Light Novels and Visual Novels] and list out other light novels that are being translated from other sites. These links could link back to the original site like how Durarara!!http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... Durarara!! was done. There is no other light novel database site that does this and I wish it would be B-T that would build a bigger community towards all translation groups. You might have to talk with other translation websites about it, but it would be every light novel reader's dream to find out that there are many other interesting series out there.

Edit: Basically saying, B-T should link light novel translations from other sites as well to promote other LN's as well. Using Durarara!! as an example.
Last edited by lp113 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Creating an Afilliate's list of LN's

Post by Mystes »

I only know BT and CE who really do LN translations. Others are things such as single-novel blog websites, or have refused, etc.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

lp113 wrote:
Have an idea on improving Baka-Tsuki?
Since this thread is about Suggestions to make B-T better, I placed this here.

Shouldn't B-T affiliate itself with other translation groups that do lightnovels? I really liked how B-T linked to cetranslation on the frontpage to expand this community to other translation groups. (I didn't even know this group existed) Isn't it B-T's goal to expand the publicity of light novels to get them published in the language that promotes the most amount of interest from its readers? It would be awesome to see series listed on the left under a sub group (Affilates) [just like how theres Light Novels and Visual Novels] and list out other light novels that are being translated from other sites. These links could link back to the original site like how Durarara!!http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... Durarara!! was done. There is no other light novel database site that does this and I wish it would be B-T that would build a bigger community towards all translation groups. You might have to talk with other translation websites about it, but it would be every light novel reader's dream to find out that there are many other interesting series out there.
The only thing missing in your otherwise good suggestion would be the information about these ''other sites'' that we have not found and thus not yet linked. Forget about "kara no kyoukai" and "fullmetal panic" (which I know they are available), since they are licensed. Forget also those one chapter translations and the group died because they realize how difficult it is to translate LNs. Incidentally, for some of them (those we could find), people have already asked them to let us host the solo chapters, but they have not agreed to it.

And if you're creating a forum topic (which is better imo), there's no need to write another one in the talk page of the main page. :wink:

Peace 8)
lp113
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lp113 »

Are single novel sites bad? Still contains a series that could be read. Like odd squad, or Jun9008
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

lp113 wrote:Are single novel sites bad? Still contains a series that could be read. Like odd squad, or Jun9008
when did I say that?
lp113
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lp113 »

I was asking kira,
Kira0802 wrote:I only know BT and CE who really do LN translations. Others are things such as single-novel blog websites, or have refused, etc.
As a form of a question since kira sets other sites that do single-novel separately from BT and CE. And I was more going towards the lines of 'Linking' the site itself instead of 'Hosting' the works. Just as was done with Durarara!! There is no such copyright or other complications linking to their site which is public for all (unless you count if its licensed). They get their traffic and recognition for doing such translations(which i'm pretty sure they want) B-T just increases its database of different light novels that are available to be read. To be even more accommodating to B-T's goal (which you have to correct me if I am wrong since there is no 'Mission Statement' in the 'About B-T') to
encourage new people to help him[thelastguardian] bring this series to the world, formed the Baka-Tsuki translation group.
, since there is no such copyright against posting links to other websites without their consent. Since it is hosted by them, it is owned by them, B-T just provides the organization. Like posting 3 videos of a show on youtube on your facebook, you don't need to ask permission from youtube to link to their videos. Just how anilinkz did it in the old days if you didn't get the idea. I believe in thelastguardian's dream and say B-T should extend itself out to other light novels that are not hosted on the wiki to help "Bring this series to the world" since B-T has a huge community that might not know of other lightnovels that are out there. Plus it helps the B-T 'Public Outreach Program' in a way, with all the chatter online of where to read light novels and such, by linking everything together in a sort of directory, more people would just link BT as the website to navigate and read every translated lightnovel there is.
lp113
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lp113 »

And I believe I posted this in the wrong section, please move to 'Forum/Wiki Feedback' category, thanks.
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Rajikai »

Yes, But I believe you didn't help with the current predicament...
1,550/3,400
lp113
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lp113 »

Ahh and i'm still correct, taken off OddSquad's website
If you wish to share our translations with others, please provide only a link to this site.
Permission is already given. Just up to the BT staff to see if they want another series like Durarara!! on BT to allow the community to read these light novel translations.
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

lp113 wrote:Ahh and i'm still correct, taken off OddSquad's website
If you wish to share our translations with others, please provide only a link to this site.
Permission is already given. Just up to the BT staff to see if they want another series like Durarara!! on BT to allow the community to read these light novel translations.
That quote sort of means that they just want a link to their site.......and no copying of their translation, at all.

Especially after reading their rules, we'd have to get explicit permission to copy their translations, though we would be free to post "A translation of "X" is available <here>"

<Topic moved.>
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

lp113 wrote:I was asking kira,
Kira0802 wrote:I only know BT and CE who really do LN translations. Others are things such as single-novel blog websites, or have refused, etc.
As a form of a question since kira sets other sites that do single-novel separately from BT and CE.
The problem with single-project websites is that they aren't really constant. CE has been, since it hostsmore than 1 or two projects and that contentsare there. However, there are other bllogs who translate 1-2 chapters and go MIA on their blog, or simply drop the project. Which leads to a huge amount links with little content.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
lp113
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lp113 »

Wouldn't that be like providing teasers that we have to encourage translators to take up the series on B-T? if there's a translation for v. 1-2. Someone could take it up if it's stalled on B-T. It is no different than the other Stalled series on B-T. As for hobogunner, your right. They are links to the site itself (ex. http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... Durarara!! ). Mostly because they want to protect the translation from being copied and printed out in pdf to sell. So they make the text unselectable like on oddsquads (ex. http://novel.oddsquad.org/2011/06/moonl ... v1c01.html). It's to deter illegal selling and buying that B-T does not supply. Are we to say that it makes their translations void for taking preventive steps that wouldn't matter for online readers? B-T is trying to increase 'Awareness' of these lightnovels to make it available to the public in the hope that it reaches the market.

Edit: Darklor even has a whole list of sites provided (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4774) able to be linked.
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Rajikai »

I would think it's alright to give a link to their website on the project page, but not a link directly to the chapter. That would make it pointless in a way. WHat they want are people to explore their site. Not just stop at one section.
1,550/3,400
lp113
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lp113 »

Direct links. That's what you do men.
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

I think that we should just leave it as links to their main page:

I.E.: www.baka-tsuki.org

Instead of: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... o_Syokanju

It is not ours to take, though we can spread around their name.
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”