Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu:Names and Terminology Guidelines
This page is a list of unique/semi-unique terms and names for translators and editors to maintain consistency with. If anything significant needs to be done, such as any large additions, disputes to listed translations to a term or name, or formatting issues, please feel free to post them at the Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu - Names and Terminology thread for discussion and review.
- 1 Creating New Pages
- 2 Format Standard
- 3 Names
- 4 Terminology
Creating New Pages
When creating a new page to post translations, please follow the format below:
where X is the number of the volume.
Untranslated chapter titles keep their original titles if they are known.
Translators are allowed to use whichever tenses they need, but editors are to ensure that:
- the narrator's thoughts are set in present tense.
- the actions of the narrative are set in past tense.
Style of English
All edited text is to be in American English.
Fumizuki Academy Faculty
- Nishimura Souichi (西村 宗一) (also known as Ironman) - The "demonic" counselor whose hobby of participating in triathalons earned him the nickname "Ironman" (鉄人). He whisks students to the remedial room for remedial lessons when their Beings are defeated regardless of time or place, and he is antagonistic to Yoshii Akihisa and Sakamoto Yuuji. He becomes Class 2-F's homeroom teacher after the events of Volume 1. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Takahashi Youko (高橋 洋子) - Class 2-A's homeroom teacher, and the Head Teacher of Year 2. Her Being is known to be undefeatable. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Fukuhara Shin (福原 慎) - Class 2-F's initial homeroom teacher. His speech lacks enthusiasm. His position is assumed by Nishimura Souichi after the events of Volume 1. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Fuse Fumihiro (布施 文博) - Chemistry teacher. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Ms. Takeuchi [竹内 (たけうち)] - Modern Japanese teacher. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Ms. Funakoshi [船越 (ふなこし)] - Mathematics teacher. A forty-five-year-old single woman who coerces students into going out with her. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Mr. Takenaka (竹中) - Classical Literature teacher. Wears a wig to hide his baldness. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Ooshima Takeshi (大島 武) - Health and Physical Education teacher. Is able to move effortlessly to any location in the school. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Mr. Hasegawa (長谷川) - Mathematics teacher. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Toudou Kaoru (藤堂 カヲル) - The Principal.
Fumizuki Academy Students
- Kirishima Shouko (霧島 翔子) - Class 2-A's Representative, and thus the top student of Year 2. Devoted to Sakamoto Yuuji to the point of developing yandere tendencies, her dream is to marry him. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Kubo Toshimitsu (久保 利光) - Student in Class 2-A who is considered the Number Two student of Year 2. Secretly infatuated with Yoshii Akihisa. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Kinoshita Yuuko (木下 優子) - Class 2-A's Ambassador and one of the top ten students of Year 2, she is the older twin sister of Kinoshita Hideyoshi. Loves reading yaoi manga. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Sato Mihou (佐藤 美穂) - Student in Class 2-A, and one of the top ten students of Year 2. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Kudou Aiko (工藤 愛子) - Student in Class 2-A, and one of the top ten students of Year 2. She has great practical knowledge in health and is a tease to the male major characters, especially to Tsuchiya Kouta. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Nemoto Kyouji (根本 恭二) - Class 2-B's Representative. He is known for using any advantage regardless of its fairness, and he later ends up as a running gag involving crossdressing. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Kikuiri Mayumi (菊入 真由美) - Student in Class 2-C, she is good friends with Iwashita Ritsuko. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Iwashita Ritsuko (岩下 律子) - Student in Class 2-C, she is good friends with Kikuiri Mayumi. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Koyama Yuuka (小山 友香) - Class 2-C's Representative. Initially Nemoto Kyouji's girlfriend, she later dumps him because of his crossdressing antics. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Kurosaki Tohru (黒崎 トオル) - Student in Class 2-C. Introduced in Volume 3.
- Isshin Noguchi (野口 一心) - Student in Class 2-C. Introduced in Volume 3.
- Niino Sumire (新野 すみれ) - Student in Class 2-C.
- Shimizu Miharu (清水 美春) - Class 2-D's Ambassador who is infatuated with Shimada Minami, calling her "Onee-sama" out of affection. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Tsukamoto (塚本) - Student in Class 2-D. Served as Class D's front line commander during their first Summoner Test War against Class F. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Ichirou Suzuki (鈴木 一郎) - Student in Class 2-D. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Sasajima Keigo (笹島 圭吾) - Student in Class 2-D. Yoshii Akihisa's first Summoner Test War opponent. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Nakano Kenta (中野 健太) - Student in Class 2-D. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Hiraga Genji (平賀 源二) - Class 2-D's Representative. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Tamano Miki (玉野 美紀) - Student in Class 2-D. Served as Hiraga Genji's personal guard during Class D's first Summoner Test War against Class F. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Nakabayashi Hiromi (中林 宏美) - Class 2-E's Representative.
- Mikami Yoshiko (三上 美子) - Class 2-E's Ambassador.
- Furukawa Ayumi (古川 あゆみ) - Student in Class 2-E.
- Yoshii Akihisa (吉井 明久) - The "Baka" of the series' title, he is the main character of the series and the narrator of the light novels. Considered the Ultimate Idiot, his status as a Punishment Bearer gives him a distinct advantage in Summoner Test Wars. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Himeji Mizuki (姫路 瑞希) - Student in Class 2-F whose grades are actually second only to Kirishima Shouko's, her bad health during the placement exam led to her current situation. She has a crush on Yoshii Akihisa, to the point of developing yandere tendencies. Her cooking, while visually appealing, is horribly inedible. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Sakamoto Yuuji (坂本 雄二) - Class 2-F's representative, and best friend of Yoshii Akihisa's (if questionably so). Known as a prodigy in his youth, he is a cunning strategist. The affections of his childhood friend, Kirishima Shouko, give him great discomfort. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Kinoshita Hideyoshi (木下 秀吉) - Student in Class 2-F, and a member of the drama club. His feminine looks give him great discomfort, since they lead others to see him as a girl. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Tsuchiya Kouta (土屋 康太) (also known as Muttsulini) - Student in Class 2-F whose silent peeping actions earned him the nickname "Muttsulini" (不機嫌そうな変態). His theoretical knowledge in health is so great that it makes up 80% of his cumulative test scores. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Shimada Minami (島田 美波) - Student in Class 2-F who is skilled in math, but she has trouble with Japanese due to her transfer from Germany. Despite hurting Yoshii Akihisa physically with wrestling moves, she has a crush on him. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Sugawa Ryou (須川 亮) - Student in Class 2-F whose Being is described in detail despite him not being part of the main cast. Revealed to be the leader of the FFF Inquisition. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Tsunemura Yuusaku (常村 勇作) - Student in Class 3-A whose friendship with Natsukawa Shunpei earned them the nickname "Toko-Natsu Duo". Introduced in Volume 2.
- Natsukawa Shunpei (夏川 俊平) - Student in Class 3-A whose friendship with Tsunemura Yuusaku earned them the nickname "Toko-Natsu Duo". Introduced in Volume 2.
- Shimada Hazuki (島田 葉月) - Shimada Minami's younger sister. Introduced in Volume 2.
- Sakamoto Yukino (坂本 雪乃) - Sakamoto Yuuji's mother.
- Yoshii Akira (吉井 玲) - Yoshii Akihisa's older sister. Introduced in Volume 5.
- Kubo Yoshimitsu (久保 良光) - Kubo Toshimitsu's younger brother.
- Mr. Shimizu (清水) - Miharu Shimizu's father. Introduced in Volume 3.5.
- Fumizuki Academy (文月学園) - The main setting of the series. A high school in Japan with cheap tuition and a distinct reputation, it is the first school to grade tests beyond 100 points and uses exclusive systems to enhance students' education.
- Summoner Test War (試験召喚戦争) - A war between different classes of the same year that is fought through the students' Summoned Beings. If a lower-ranked class defeats a higher-ranked class, the lower-ranked class is allowed to switch classrooms with the higher-ranked class.
- FFF Inquisition - A group consisting of male Class F students. As per its creed, its members hunt down any male student who has a romantic relationship with any girl.
- Punishment Bearer (観察処分者) - A title given to a student who has great trouble studying, the Bearer's duty involves helping teachers with grunt work. The Bearer's Summoned Being is given the ability to interact with physical objects to help them with said work, but if it gets hurt, so will they.
- Shoukanjuu Summoning System - A fusion of science and a supernatural power, it is a Fumizuki Academy-exclusive system that allows the existence of both Summoned Beings and Summoner Test Wars.
- Summoned Being (shortened to Being) - A chibified version of the summoner that can only be summoned in the presence of a supervising teacher, its strength is equal to the summoner's latest test score. It normally cannot interact with physical objects.
There're a lot of pronouns that sadly could not be translated into the story itself.
Watashi--Mizuki, Shouko, Hinata, Yukino Boku--Akihisa, Aiko (tomboy), Toshimitsu, Yoshimitsu Uchi--Minami Washi--Hideyoshi Atashi (feminine version) -- Yuuko, Takahashi Ore--Yuuji, Muttsurini, Ironman Akira, Miharu--refer to themselves in third person. Akira as nee-san, Miharu as Miharu