Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu (バカとテストと召喚獣 Idiots, Tests, and Summoned Beasts), also known as Baka and Test: Summon the Beasts, is a Japanese light novel series created by Kenji Inoue and illustrated by Yui Haga. The first novel in the series was released on January 29, 2007, and as of December 26, 2011, a total of fourteen volumes have been published by Enterbrain under their Famitsu Bunko publishing imprint. A manga adaptation by Mosuke Mattaku started serialization in the manga magazine Shōnen Ace on April 25, 2009. Another manga adaptation by namo started serialization in the male-oriented web comic magazine Famitsu Comic Clear on October 30, 2009. An anime adaptation by Media Factory was announced the same month. A promotional trailer was released for streaming in August 2009. An anime series adaptation began airing on January 7, 2010. Funimation has licensed the anime for release in the United States under the title Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts. The second season began airing in July 2011.
The actual series is currently complete at 18 volumes, 12 main volumes and 6 side volumes. There is also an extra chapter featured along with the author's new series 'Lady!? Steady, GO!!'.
The Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu series is also available in the following languages:
- Español (Spanish)
- Italiano (Italian)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Русский (Russian)
- Français (French)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Português Brasileiro (Brazilian Portuguese) - external
- 1 Story Synopsis
- 2 Kenji Inoue
- 3 Translation
- 4 Updates
- 5 The Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu series by Inoue Kenji
- 5.1 Volume 1 (Full Text)
- 5.2 Volume 2 (Full Text)
- 5.3 Volume 3 (Full Text)
- 5.4 Volume 3.5 (Full Text)
- 5.5 Volume 4 (Full Text)
- 5.6 Collaboration Anthology 2: Book Girl Ascends the Stairway of the Gargoyles and Idiots (Full Text)
- 5.7 Volume 5 (Full Text)
- 5.8 Volume 6 (Full Text)
- 5.9 Volume 6.5 (Full Text)
- 5.10 Volume 7 (Full Text)
- 5.11 Volume 7.5 (Full Text)
- 5.12 Volume 8 (Full Text)
- 5.13 Volume 9 (Full Text)
- 5.14 Volume 9.5 (Full Text)
- 5.15 Volume 10 (Full Text)
- 5.16 Volume 10.5 (Full Text)
- 5.17 Volume 11 (Full Text)
- 5.18 Volume 12 (Full Text)
- 5.19 Volume 12.5 (Full Text)
- 5.20 Baka Test Special Edition
- 6 Project Staff
- 7 Series Overview
The protagonist is a guy who is among the stupidest of the stupidest in the school. In this school, your grades can be over the score of 100. If you leave an examination partway, you get a score of zero. A bright and cute girl, Himeji Mizuki, had a high fever during the examination. Despite her potential to be the second-highest scorer in her year, she obtained a zero for having left due to her illness and is thus allocated to the worst class, Class F.
Grades mean almost everything. Class A, taught by a smart-looking teacher, uses a plasma TV the size of an entire wall as their blackboard, personal laptops, personal air conditioners, refrigerators, adjustable seats, and all kinds of different appliances. Within the refrigerator are all kinds of drinks and snacks. Their ceiling is made of glass, and the walls allow them to hang up high-class drawings and plants.
As for Class F, the worst class... they have Japanese desks and seat paddings. Their blackboard is filthy and even lacks chalk! When someone complains that the leggings of his desk is broken, the teacher responds, "Didn't we distribute some glue to stick wood together? Glue it back yourself later." Another student complains that wind blows through a broken window in the classroom. The teacher replies, "Understood. I will apply for plastic bags and invisible glue to fix it later." With spider webs everywhere, not a patch of the wall is clean. A unique moldy smell spreads across the entire room from the old tatamis used to tile the floor. This is the status of Class F.
The protagonist feels displeased with this arrangement, and seeks help from his friends to try to make a change through an Exam Summoning War!! Together, they devise all kinds of strategies to try to beat the famous Class A, intending to earn Class A's classroom and equipment if they win!!
Born in Tokyo, but grew up in Sapporo. Love the Kinoshita Hideyoshi drawn by Yui Haga sensei. Parents and friends around me didn't know anything when the first novel was published. Became famous in company in one day because the supervisor complained "Couldn't understand the Japanese written by Inoue". Therefore until now, I still don't dare to claim that I am a writer even though I had won an award. This novel won the 8th Entame Award editor special prize because the judge didn't read carefully.
-Translation from inner cover of Volume 1
Those who wish to contribute must first notify a supervisor beforehand. Translators must register which chapters they're working on.
Please refer to this topic thread for information about this project.
- January 21, 2016 - Volume 12.5 completed - Baka to Tesuto Project Complete!
Older updates can be found here.
The Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu series by Inoue Kenji
You can find the PDF, EPUB, and MOBI version of the Volumes in the forum here.
Collaboration Anthology 2: Book Girl Ascends the Stairway of the Gargoyles and Idiots (Full Text)
- Project Manager:
- ProxY(Please email me if there is work to be done.)
- Volume 1: ISBN 978-4757733299 (published January 29, 2007)
- Volume 2: ISBN 978-4757735057 (published April 28, 2007)
- Volume 3: ISBN 978-4757736825 (published August 30, 2007)
- Volume 3.5: ISBN 978-4-7577-3979-6 (published January 30, 2008)
- Volume 4: ISBN 978-4-7577-4236-9 (published May 30, 2008)
- Volume 5: ISBN 978-4-7577-4518-6 (published November 29, 2008)
- Volume 6: ISBN 978-4-7577-4827-9 (published April 30, 2009)
- Volume 6.5: ISBN 978-4-7577-5040-1 (published August 29, 2009)
- Volume 7: ISBN 978-4-0472-6195-2 (published December 26, 2009)
- Volume 7.5: ISBN 978-4-04-7263130 (published February 27, 2010)
- Volume 8: ISBN 978-4-04-726727-5 (published August 30, 2010)
- Volume 9: ISBN 978-4-04-727031-2 (published January 29, 2011)
- Volume 9.5: ISBN 978-4-04-727332-0 (published June 30, 2011)
- Bungaku Shoujo VS Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu: ISBN 978-4-7577-4484-4 (published October 30, 2008)
- Volume 10: ISBN 978-4-04-727647-5 (published December 26, 2011)
- Volume 10.5: ISBN 978-4-04-728351-0 (published September 29, 2012)
- Volume 11: ISBN 978-4-04-728752-5 (published March 30, 2013)
- Volume 12: ISBN 978-4-04-729293-2 (published November 30, 2013)
- Volume 12.5: ISBN 978-4-04-730298-3 (published March 30, 2015)