Toaru Majutsu no Index:Names and Terminology Guideline
This page is a list of unique/semi-unique terms and names for translators and editors to maintain consistency with. If anything significant needs to be done, such as any large additions, disputes to listed translations to a term or name, or formatting issues, please feel free to post them at the Toaru Majutsu no Index - Names and Terminology thread for discussion and review.
- 1 Creating New Pages
- 2 Format Standard
- 3 Names
- 4 Terminology
Creating New Pages
When creating a new page to post translations, please follow the format below:
where X is the number of the volume and Y is the number of that volume's chapter.
- Untranslated chapter titles keep their original titles if they're known.
- The English part of the original title keeps its underscores at all times and in all versions.
Translators are allowed to use whichever tenses they need, but editors are to ensure that the narrative is set in past tense.
Style of English
The text is to be in American English. The exception is the dialogue of British characters, which should be in British English.
Since there are no equivalents to Japanese honorifics in the English language, Japanese honorifics will be kept.
There are some words in the Japanese language that do not translate into the English language, for such instances it is recommended to keep the Japanese loanword. For example, Torii.
Standard Sisters: "'Misaka is describing herself in third-person,' says Misaka in a self-descriptive manner." "'third_person_speech,' present_tense_verb Misaka adverb."
Example: "'But Misaka's name is still Misaka,' answers Misaka immediately."
Last Order: "'Misaka is also describing herself in third-person,' says Misaka as Misaka describes herself." "'third_person_speech,' present_tense_verb Misaka as Misaka present_tense_clause."
Example: "'Ohh, this is the first time Misaka's eating such a hot meal,' says Misaka as Misaka feels really excited."
Misaka Worst: "Misaka just describes herself in third-person without other verbal tics."
Example: "Unfortunately. Misaka thought for a bit about just comfortably pretending to be dead."
- Kamijou Touma （上条 当麻）- The main protagonist of Toaru Majutsu no Index. A misfortunate boy who can negate any supernatural phenomenon with his right hand. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Misaka Mikoto (御坂 美琴) - A heroine of Toaru Majutsu no Index, and the main protagonist of her own Side Story, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun. Rank 3 of the seven Level 5 espers. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Tsukuyomi Komoe (月詠 小萌) - Kamijou Touma's homeroom teacher. Known as one of the seven great mysteries of the school for her child-like appearance and behavior. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Aogami Pierce （青髪 ピアス） - Kamijou Touma's class representative. His name literally means "blue hair piercings guy". Introduced in Volume 1.
- Heaven Canceller [冥土帰し (ヘヴンキャンセラー)] - A frog-faced doctor of Academy City. Known to save almost any patient from almost any injury or disease. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Aleister Crowley (アレイスター＝クロウリー) - The founder and superintendent of Academy City. A cunning magician who defected from the magic side. Mentioned in Volume 1, introduced officially in Volume 2.
- Himegami Aisa (姫神 秋沙) - A student of Academy City under Aureolus Izzard's care. A Gemstone whose ability attracts and kills vampires. Introduced in Volume 2.
- Accelerator (一方通行) - The second protagonist of Toaru Majutsu no Index. Rank 1 of the seven Level 5 espers. Introduced in Volume 3.
- Shirai Kuroko (白井 黒子) - Secondary protagonist of Toaru Kagaku no Railgun. An esper who can teleport herself or any object she touches and a member of Judgment Branch #177. Infatuated with Misaka Mikoto, who happens to be her roommate. Introduced in Volume 3.
- Misaka 10032 (ミサカ) - The 10032nd Misaka Mikoto clone, and the most prominent clone in the series. Kamijou Touma refers to her as Misaka Imouto. Introduced in Volume 3.
- Last Order [打ち止め (ラストオーダー)] - The 20001st clone of Misaka Mikoto, and administrator of the Misaka Network. Has a family-like relationship with Accelerator. Introduced in Volume 5.
- Yoshikawa Kikyou (芳川 桔梗) - A scientist involved with research projects in Academy City. Introduced in Volume 5.
- Yomikawa Aiho (黄泉川 愛穂) - A gym teacher at Touma's school who is also a member of Anti-Skill. Introduced in Volume 6.
- Kazakiri Hyouka (風斬 氷華) - A girl who mysteriously appeared to Index. Introduced in Volume 6.
- Uiharu Kazari (初春 飾利) - Secondary protagonist of Toaru Kagaku no Railgun. A female middle school student who is also a member of Judgment Branch #177. Introduced in Volume 8.
- Musujime Awaki (結標 淡希)- An esper who can teleport herself or any object she's aware of without the need of physical contact. The Guide to the Windowless Building. Introduced in Volume 8.
- Fukiyose Seiri (吹寄 制理) - A female classmate of Touma's. Responsible, and has a fascination with health products. Introduced in Volume 9.
- Hamazura Shiage (浜面 仕上) - The third protagonist of Toaru Majutsu no Index. A Level 0 esper and a member of Skill-Out who assumed the role of leader after its previous leader died. Introduced in Volume SS1.
- Oyafune Suama (親船 素甘) - A female math teacher at Touma's school. Has an obsession with being beautiful. Introduced in Volume 14.
- Mugino Shizuri (麦野 沈利) - Rank 4 of the seven Level 5 espers, and the leader of Item. Has a very short temper. Introduced in Volume 15.
- Kakine Teitoku (垣根 帝督) - Rank 2 of the seven Level 5 espers, and the leader of Block. Has a deep grudge against Accelerator. Introduced in Volume 15.
- Sogiita Gunha (削板 軍覇) - Rank 7 of the seven Level 5 espers. A Gemstone who fights injustice while wearing a distinct uniform. Introduced in Volume SS2.
- Misaka Worst (番外個体) - A part of the newest lineup of Misaka Clones. Has a family-like relationship with Accelerator. Introduced in Volume 20.
- Shokuhou Misaki (食蜂 操祈) - Rank 5 of the seven Level 5 espers, and the second of the two Level 5s in Tokiwadai Middle School. Hardly shows herself in public. Introduced in Chapter 40 of the Railgun manga.
- Index Librorum Prohibitorum (shortened to Index) (インデックス) - The eponymous character of Toaru Majutsu no Index. A nun-in-training with a bottomless appetite and eidetic memory who has complete knowledge of 103,000 grimoires. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Stiyl Magnus (ステイル＝マグヌス) - A magician specializing in rune magic. Friend of Kanzaki and Index's since before the novel. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Kanzaki Kaori (神裂 火織) - A magician who left the Amakusa Church. An excellent swordswoman blessed with the power of a Saint. Introduced in Volume 1.
- Tsuchimikado Motoharu (土御門 元春) - A good friend of Touma's. Capable of using both ESP (which can repair injuries) and magic (though it injures him). Mentioned in Volume 1, introduced officially in Volume 4.
Roman Catholic Church
- Aureolus Izzard (アウレオルス＝イザード) - An alchemist formerly of the Roman Catholic Church. Wields the power of Ars Magna, which allows him to distort reality. Introduced in Volume 2.
- Orsola Aquinas (オルソラ＝アクィナス) - A Roman Catholic nun. A decoder said to be able to decipher the Book of the Law. Introduced in Volume 7.
- Agnese Sanctis (アニェーゼ＝サンクティス) - A Roman Catholic magician. The leader of the Agnese Forces. Introduced in Volume 7.
- Lucia (ルチア) - A Roman Catholic magician. Member of the Agnese Forces. Introduced in Volume 7.
- Angelene (アンジェレネ) - A Roman Catholic magician. Member of the Agnese Forces. Introduced in Volume 7.
- Oriana Thomson (オリアナ＝トムソン) - A British magician working as a mercenary. Introduced in Volume 9.
- Lidvia Lorenzetti (リドヴィア＝ロレンツェッティ) - A Roman Catholic magician. Introduced in Volume 9.
Russian Orthodox Church
- Misha Kreutzev (ミーシャ＝クロイツェフ) - A Russian Orthodox magician. Revealed to be the pseudonym of Archangel Gabriel, who's possessing Sasha Kreutzev's body. Introduced in Volume 4.
- Sasha Kreutzev (サーシャ＝クロイツェフ) - A Russian Orthodox magician. Her body was possessed by Archangel Gabriel during the events of Angel Fall. Mentioned in Volume 4, introduced officially in Volume 12.
- Vasilisa (ワシリーサ) - A Russian Orthodox magician, and Sasha Kreutzev's superior. Has a fascination with Japanese anime and manga. Introduced in Volume 12.
- Anti-Skill [警備員 (アンチスキル)] - A military force in Academy City consisting of volunteering teachers.
- Esper (能力者) - A human that gained paranormal abilities from the Power Curriculum Program.
- Gemstone (原石) - A human born with paranormal abilities.
- John's Pen Mode [自動書記 (ヨハネのペン)] - Index's auto-defense system. Automatically activates when Index is in danger. Can be activated manually via a remote.
- Judgment (風紀委員) - A peacekeeping force in Academy City consisting of students of the city.
- Power Curriculum Program - A program in Academy City that allows people to gain paranormal abilities.
- Saint (聖人) - A human that inherited characteristics of the Son of God.
- School Garden [学舎の園 (まなびやのその)] - An area in Academy City inhabited by female students from the city's top five schools.
- Skill-Out [武装無能力集団 (スキルアウト)] - A group in Academy City consisting of Level 0 espers. They hold a deep grudge against espers of higher levels.
- Daihaseisai [大覇星祭 (だいはせいさい)] - A sports festival in Academy City. Featured prominently in Volumes 9 and 10.
- Ichihanaransai (一端覧祭) - A cultural festival held across all of Academy City. It is considered to be the world's largest of its kind.