Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (魔法科高校の劣等生), literally "The Poor Performing Student of a Magic High School", and also known officially as "The Irregular at Magic High School", is a Japanese light novel series written by Satou Tsutomu (佐島勤), with illustrations by Ishida Kana (石田可奈), published by ASCII Media Works under their Dengeki Bunko label. The novel began as a web novel serialization in "Let's Become a Novelist" on October 12, 2008. It then became the second web novel after "Sword Art Online", to be commercialized and published by Dengeki in July 2011. An animé adaptation by Madhouse Studios was announced on October 6, 2013.
Novel is also available in the following languages:
- Русский (Russian)
- Français (French)
- Español (Spanish)
- Italiano (Italian)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Português (Brazilian Portuguese)
- Polski (Polish)
- 1 Other Interesting Facts
- 2 Story Synopsis
- 3 Translation & Editing
- 4 Updates
- 5 The Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei series by Satou Tsutomu
- 5.1 Volume 1 - Enrollment Chapter (I) (Full Text)
- 5.2 Volume 2 - Enrollment Chapter (II) (Full Text)
- 5.3 Volume 3 - Nine Schools Competition Chapter (I) (Full Text)
- 5.4 Volume 4 - Nine Schools Competition Chapter (II) (Full Text)
- 5.5 Volume 5 - Summer Holiday Chapter (Full Text)
- 5.6 Volume 6 - Yokohama Disturbance Chapter (I) (Full Text)
- 5.7 Volume 7 - Yokohama Disturbance Chapter (II) (Full Text)
- 5.8 Volume 8 - Reminiscence Chapter (Full Text)
- 5.9 Volume 9 - Visitor Chapter (I) (Full Text)
- 5.10 Volume 10 - Visitor Chapter (II) (Full Text)
- 5.11 Volume 11 - Visitor Chapter (III) (Full Text)
- 5.12 Volume 12 - Double Seven Chapter
- 6 Dengeki Bunko Magazine: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Ninendo
- 7 The Gaiden: Mahouka Koukou no Shounen Shoujo series by Sato Tsutomu
- 8 Project Staff
- 9 Series Overview
Other Interesting Facts
As of July 2011, the web novel has received over 30 million page views.
As of December 2011, the web novel has received over 50 million page views.
The web novel, including the Gaiden (side stories), have been taken down at the end of 2011.
The Dengeki published volumes were edited, supplemented with more text on some occasions, and overall improved over the web versions.
The web novel consisted of only 6 web chapters written covering the First Year arc, and the author has already planned for a total of 15 web chapters to cover the entire three years of Magic High School. As of August 2011, web chapter 1 has been been compiled into volumes 1 and 2, and as of December 2011, web chapter 2 has been compiled into volumes 3 and 4. The author expects the series to be compiled into a total of 20 to 25 volumes (ie. if Dengeki allows him to finish the series) [SOURCE: Author's tweet on 6-Nov-2011, #dengeki_mahouka]
Volume 5 will include a special chapter that has never been released on the web.
This series debuted in "This Light Novel is Amazing 2012" rankings at the rank of 29.
Volumes 1 and 2, published in July and August 2011 respectively, made it into the top 50 sales ranking on Oricon for the year 2011 (to be precise, from 22-Nov-2010 to 20-Nov-2011), at the ranks of 36 (99,047) and 42 (88,743) respectively.
Is a product of neither legends nor fairy tales, but instead has become a technology of reality since a time unknown to people.
Supernatural power became a technology systematized through magic, while magic became a technical skill. A "Supernatural Power User" became a "Magic Technician".
Magic Technicians (in short, Magicians) are nurtured through Magic High Schools and Universities.
This is a story about:
A defective elder brother low achiever, who is lousy at magic but is an honors student.
A perfect, flawless younger sister high achiever, who is good at everything.
After both siblings entered a Magic High School,
The stage of daily turbulence was unveiled——.
Translation & Editing
Those who wish to contribute are asked to first notify a supervisor beforehand via the forum.
Translators are asked to register for chapters they want to work on
Every Chapter (after editing) must conform to the format guidelines and maintain the same terminology used. Editors are to check the standard if possible. Both translators and editors are required to participate actively in the forum in project standards.
Discuss this series in the forums
If you find any part of the translation weird or doesn't completely make sense, tell us in the Translation Check Thread
If you appreciate the Translator's effort, thank them in the Staff Appreciation Thread
- Volume 13 Chapter 7 completed
- Volume 13 Chapter 8 completed
- Volume 13 Chapter 6 completed
- Volume 13 Chapter 5 completed
- Volume 13 Chapter 2
- Volume 5 Amelia in Wonderland
Older updates can be found on the Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Updates page
The Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei series by Satou Tsutomu
You can find the E-book version of the volumes here.
Volume 1 - Enrollment Chapter (I) (Full Text)
Volume 2 - Enrollment Chapter (II) (Full Text)
Volume 3 - Nine Schools Competition Chapter (I) (Full Text)
Volume 4 - Nine Schools Competition Chapter (II) (Full Text)
Volume 5 - Summer Holiday Chapter (Full Text)
Volume 6 - Yokohama Disturbance Chapter (I) (Full Text)
Volume 7 - Yokohama Disturbance Chapter (II) (Full Text)
Volume 8 - Reminiscence Chapter (Full Text)
Volume 9 - Visitor Chapter (I) (Full Text)
Volume 10 - Visitor Chapter (II) (Full Text)
Volume 11 - Visitor Chapter (III) (Full Text)
Volume 12 - Double Seven Chapter
- Novel Illustrations
- Chapter 1
- Chapter 2
- Chapter 3
- Chapter 4
- Chapter 5
- Chapter 6
- Chapter 7
- Chapter 8
- Chapter 9
- Chapter 10
- Chapter 11
- Chapter 12
- Chapter 13
- Chapter 14
- Chapter 15
- Chapter 16
Dengeki Bunko Magazine: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Ninendo
Ninendo started appearing in Dengeki Bunko MAGAZINE (starting in Volume 28) before being published in a collected novel form. Tatsuya, Miyuki and their friends are now in their Sophomore year.
The Gaiden: Mahouka Koukou no Shounen Shoujo series by Sato Tsutomu
- Project Administrator:
- Project Supervisor: larethian
- Seitsuki (Wake me up when Miyuki sends)
- larethian (TLC-ing leisurely)
All editors that speak English proficiently are welcomed.
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（1）入学編<上> (July 10, 2011 ISBN 978-4048705974)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（2）入学編<下> (August 10, 2011 ISBN 978-4048705981)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（3）九校戦編<上> (November 10, 2011 ISBN 978-4048709989)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（4）九校戦編<下> (December 10, 2011 ISBN 978-4048709996)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（5）夏休み編＋１ (April 10, 2012 ISBN 978-4-04-886522-7)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（6）横浜騒乱編〈上〉 (July 10, 2012 ISBN 978-4-04-886700-9)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（7）横浜騒乱編〈下〉 (September 10, 2012 ISBN 978-4-04-886701-6)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（8）追憶編 (December 10, 2012 ISBN 978-4-04-891158-0)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（9）来訪者編<上> (March 10, 2013 ISBN 978-4-04-891423-9)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（10）来訪者編<中> (June 7, 2013 ISBN 978-4-04-891609-7)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（11）来訪者編<下> (August 10, 2013 ISBN 978-4-04-891610-3)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（12）ダブルセブン編 (October 10, 2013 ISBN 978-4-04-866003-7)