Talk:Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
- 1 Series Overview
- 2 General
- 3 Volume 1 The late great favorite
- 4 Editing
- 5 Novel illustrations
- 6 Missing Chapter
- 7 Helping with translating
- 8 Volume 4
- 9 Volume 5
- 10 Inconsistent terminology
- 11 Volume 7
- 12 Thank you
- 13 Latest Update List
- 14 Dengeki Bunko Magazine: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Ninendo
- 15 DVD Drama
- 16 Anime
- 17 Volume 12
- 18 Volume 13
- 19 Pupils
- 20 Volume 8 nitpick
- 21 Volume 2
- 22 Can someone please make PDF files for this light novel?
- 23 14 vol illustrations
- 24 New Soren
- 25 volume covers?
- 26 Volume 14, chapter 1 editing questions
- 27 Licensed
- 28 Are you really going to abandon this project?
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（1）入学編〈上〉 ---(July 10, 2011, ISBN 978-4-04-870597-4)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（2）入学編〈下〉 ---(August 10, 2011, ISBN 978-4-04-870598-1)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（3）九校戦編〈上〉 ---(November 10, 2011, ISBN 978-4-04-870998-9)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（4）九校戦編〈下〉 ---(December 10, 2011, ISBN 978-4-04-870999-6)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（5）夏休み編＋１ ---(April 10, 2012, ISBN 978-4-04-886522-7)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（6）横浜騒乱編〈上〉 ---(July 10, 2012, ISBN 978-4-04-886700-9)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（7）横浜騒乱編〈下〉 ---(September 10, 2012, ISBN 978-4-04-886701-6)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（8）追憶編 ---(December 10, 2012, ISBN 978-4-04-891158-0)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（9）来訪者編〈上〉 ---(March 10, 2013, ISBN 978-4-04-891423-9)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（10）来訪者編〈中〉 ---(June 7, 2013, ISBN 978-4-04-891609-7)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（11）来訪者編〈下〉 ---(August 10, 2013, ISBN 978-4-04-891610-3)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（12）ダブルセブン編 ---(October 10, 2013, ISBN 978-4-04-866003-7)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（13）スティープルチェース編 ---(April 10, 2014, ISBN 978-4-04-866507-0)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（14）古都内乱編〈上〉 ---(September 10, 2014, ISBN 978-4-04-866860-6)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（15）古都内乱編〈下〉 ---(January 10, 2015, ISBN 978-4-04-869167-3)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（16）四葉継承編 ---(May 10, 2015, ISBN 978-4-04-865116-5)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（17）師族会議編〈上〉 ---(August 8, 2015, ISBN 978-4-04-865313-8)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（18）師族会議編〈中〉 ---(November 10, 2015, ISBN 978-4-04-865512-5)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（19）師族会議編〈下〉 ---(March 10, 2016, ISBN 978-4-04-865809-6)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生ＳＳ ---(May 10, 2016, ISBN 978-4-04-865952-9)
- 魔法科高校の劣等生（20）南海騒擾編 ---(September 10, 2016, ISBN 978-4-04-892318-7)
- The Irregular at Magic High School, Vol. 1: Enrollment Arc, Part I ---(April 19, 2016, ISBN 978-0-316-34880-5)
- The Irregular at Magic High School, Vol. 2: Enrollment Arc, Part II ---(August 23, 2016, ISBN 978-0-316-39029-3)
- The Irregular at Magic High School, Vol. 3: Part I ---(December 13, 2016, ISBN 978-0-316-39030-9)
- The Irregular at Magic High School, Vol. 4: Part II ---(April 18, 2017, ISBN 978-0-316-39031-6)
- The Irregular at Magic High School, Vol. 5: ---(TBA)
- The Irregular at Magic High School, Vol. 6: Part I ---(TBA)
- The Irregular at Magic High School, Vol. 7: Part II ---(TBA)
- The Irregular at Magic High School, Vol. 8: ---(TBA)
- The Irregular at Magic High School, Vol. 9: Part I ---(TBA)
- The Irregular at Magic High School, Vol. 10: Part II ---(TBA)
- The Irregular at Magic High School, Vol. 11: Part III ---(TBA)
- The Irregular at Magic High School, Vol. 12: ---(TBA)
- The Irregular at Magic High School, Vol. 13: ---(TBA)
- The Irregular at Magic High School, Vol. 14: Part I ---(TBA)
- The Irregular at Magic High School, Vol. 15: Part II ---(TBA)
- The Irregular at Magic High School, Vol. 16: ---(TBA)
- The Irregular at Magic High School, Vol. 17: Part I ---(TBA)
- The Irregular at Magic High School, Vol. 18: Part II ---(TBA)
- The Irregular at Magic High School, Vol. 19: Part III ---(TBA)
- The Irregular at Magic High School, Vol. SS: ---(TBA)
- The Irregular at Magic High School, Vol. 20: ---(TBA)
Thank you very much, this series is fantastic, so I appreciate your efforts in providing it to us.
I'd like to take a chance to thank you guys at baka-tsuki for translating all these novels I can't understand japense at all and after reading a number of your translations i've ended up going out and buying them when they are released so i wanted to say thanks for letting us all read the works when they come out, thanks again-soulwave
Just want to say thank you to Dreyakis for translating so much of Mahouka. Because of him, this has been one of the best experiences I had with baka-tsuki. Keep up the good work, and may you never get bored. ^_^ --Tortex (talk) 18:20, 22 January 2013 (CST)
Best place to post would probably be on the forum topic. I'll link you to it in a min.--Gohankuten (talk) 20:30, 6 December 2012 (CST) http://www.baka-tsuki.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4664
Guys I'm still dependent on my parents and i cant donate or know other language like japanese to translate. But I just wish to say thanks for translating this novel. I have been looking forward for it and check it every other day :D - ChiAji
Hey, so I just read the first two chapters of the anime and I found it awesome. Is there a translator for this right now? - Desodus
Atm there isnt--J112 19:22, 21 January 2012 (CST)
How do you read anime? -Pryun 19:27, 21 January 2012 (CST)
Maybe the two chapter of this manga...
Whoops, sorry, I meant to say manga.--Desodus 18:43, 13 February 2012 (CST)
Any update on this being updated? From what I've read of the novel and the manga, this seems like a pretty awesome series, and I need moar :D --Vaane 18:33, 1 April 2012 (CDT)
Uhh seriously why do people ask? The last update was on the 19th, and from the registration page people are working on other parts. The more you ask the more people don't feel like doing it :( --Lighthalzen 21:39, 1 April 2012 (CDT)
The reason I asked was that some of the chapters (namely Chapter 3) have no translator registered, and I was wondering whether there was anyone who was translating and hadn't put their name down. But I can understand the feeling of being annoyed at asking for updates, so forget I asked :P --Vaane 10:58, 3 April 2012 (CDT)
Actually, the latest revision was on March 31st (in terms of actually adding translations); Seitsuki added some more to chapter 6, if memory serves. I also hope people will eventually get to translating this. --CrimsonLord 17:17, 3 April 2012 (CDT)
When are teaser projects allowed to be moved to the main section? Could really use some more exposure to get more people on board translating. I'm sure the recent manga releases have helped drum up some excitement for the series.
Are the translators doing it by the volumes as they come out on sale, or from online readers? Because the fifth volume just went on sale this month, but on this Japanese reading site, there are 6 volumes online.--Desodus 22:04, 18 April 2012 (CDT)
There are 6 volume release online cause the web version is longer than the published one, the published one is the compilation of the web version I just can't remember how they are allocated I think its like this v1-2 of the web version is v1 of the published one, and the total number of web version that will be released is around 12 I think? --Serice
Originally Posted by Baka-Tsuki
- The web novel consisted of only 6 web chapters written covering the First Year arc, and the author has already planned for a total of 15 web chapters to cover the entire three years of Magic High School. As of August 2011, web chapter 1 has been been compiled into volumes 1 and 2, and as of December 2011, web chapter 2 has been compiled into volumes 3 and 4. The author expects the series to be compiled into a total of 20 to 25 volumes (ie. if Dengeki allows him to finish the series) [SOURCE: Author's tweet on 6-Nov-2011, #dengeki_mahouka]
- Volume 5 will be a special chapter that has never been released on the web.
--larethian 22:53, 18 April 2012 (CDT)
Interesting... very interesting... I think it would be a good idea to hurry and complete the teaser chapters and then promote this into an official project. Because of the manga version, people over at Batoto are taking an interest as well. And there are many comments mentioning Baka-Tsuki and wishing it was an official project here. Zero2001 - Talk - 15:40, 26 April 2012 (CDT)
This has enough content to become a project, but the problem is, no one wants to list himself as an active translator, I'll give another few weeks before I check back with suarhnir on her progress. I'm glad enough she agreed to take over the manga from me, so I don't want to give her 'pressure', if possible. --larethian 20:13, 26 April 2012 (CDT)
Moreover, this project is really hard and time-consuming to translate. It seems to me that even suarhnir who is majoring in Japanese in university (not studying it as an elective mind you) is taking more time than she had expected. --larethian 20:19, 26 April 2012 (CDT)
Query: Does Baka-Tsuki accept Chinese-English translations for this series?
I believe the good folk at lightnovel.cn are much farther in advance in terms of translations, but theirs is (obviously) only in Chinese and their work alone. I do not read Japanese at all, but I am confident in my own Chinese-English translations. Would Baka-Tsuki accept my possible contribution if I converted the Chinese translations into English? This is, of course, under the assumption that the translators from lightnovel.cn give the go ahead. --Dreyakis 22:59, 02 July 2012
I think that as long as you follow registration procedure for the chapters (to avoid overlapping), you can go ahead. People want to see the translation of this great series. If there is any mistake people that can check japanese raw can edit it after. Xenocross 01:14, 3 July 2012 (CDT)
The art really similar to aquarion evol, are they drawn by the same person?
It would be great if somebody could translate the rest of chapter 2 or at least for the time being offer some kind of summary. Iin this kind of consistent story it is almost imposible to read the rest if you don´t know what happens in the previous chapter.--KaprJarda (talk) 16:35, 10 September 2012 (CDT)
Yeah. I know the feeling. I wanted to read the whole thing but now that there is a gap in the middle I've lost the desire to read further. Someone finish c2's translation including the japanese text in the middle. Zero2001 - Talk - 18:30, 10 September 2012 (CDT)
Yeah, I just notice this too. I thought there wasn´t anybody working to translate it, since it was in this state for months. I didn´t read the history till after writing my comment. So lets hope the rest gets translation as soon as possible.--KaprJarda (talk) 23:54, 10 September 2012 (CDT)
This illustration here is missing from the chapter http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=File:MKnR_v01_131.jpg Arczyx (talk) 07:28, 26 September 2012 (CDT)
Volume 1 The late great favorite
I'm just wondering but what are the requirements for being an editor?
So i'll have to make an account as well? And sign like how you all sign with the name, date and time?
Would it be fine if I begin editing? I would be able to put in some time each day. --Shirofune
Umm... is it ok if i level the b&w ilustrations? i mean make the black black, and the white white. it's annoying that everything is grey. also crop them where there is a need. ..::Gradient::.. 08:18, 9 November 2012 (CST)
Why not give one image a level and give a link to it? I can understand your desire to level things, but I think the gray color suits a light novel. It's a bit too different from manga which has less reliance on shading, so it may not look right if you do it improperly. Then again, I have very limited experience as an editor, and I have no idea what it is you can do, so I guess that may seem a bit condescending of me. Well, if the quality is good, I doubt people would mind it much, but give us a sample so someone doesn't decide they dislike it and re-uploads the picture and gets rid of your hard work -- EnigmaticAxiom - Talk - 09:40, 09 November 2012 (CST)
it looks like this with the leveling i think it's better but it's up to you ..::Gradient::.. 12:35, 9 November 2012 (CST)
I personally think it looks better as well. May as well see what the others think of it. If they don't bother, you can post on the forum to get their opinion (since they might not look here), or I can bring their attention to it if you don't have a forum account. -- EnigmaticAxiom - Talk - 13:20, 09 November 2012 (CST)
Please do bring this to the forum. If needed i can provide more leveled images. Also it's not realy that big of a work. It's like 5 minutes and a volume worth of images are croped and leveled. <Please post a link to the thread here so i can look at what's going on as well> ..::Gradient::.. 13:56, 9 November 2012 (CST)
forget it i registered and made a post in the general thread. ..::Gradient::.. 14:51, 9 November 2012 (CST)
well i started uploading them since arczyx in the forum said that they looked closer to the truth, and someone asked me for them to put in the pdf. so volume 1 is up, more coming. these two images have become useless so i'm deleting them. ..::Gradient::.. 08:48, 16 November 2012 (CST)
i put up vol 3 and 4 leveled, the rest looks OK so i wont fiddle with them ..::Gradient::.. 10:40, 10 December 2012 (CST)
Is baka-tsuki interested in accepting colored version of black & white pages from light novels? Im doing them and plan to cover all in near futureVolume 13 MayumiVolume 3 KanonVolume 3 Mari--Viole1369 (talk) 07:13, 18 May 2014 (CDT)Viole1369
Isn't the "Late Great Favorite" a chapter in volume 1 missing, i mean i get why sometimes Afterwords aren't translated as they are just the authors thoughts but does the chapter missing in volume 1 have some kind of plot implication?
If you checked the forum thread you would find out its just some comments from Kawahara Reki(author of Accel World/Sword Art Online) and doesn't contain anything vital to the story.--Gohankuten (talk) 20:58, 2 December 2012 (CST)
So which brave soul will be translating chapter 16 come do it for your country
Helping with translating
Hello, I really have not idea if this is the correct place or not but here goes: I would like to help, I do not read the Japanese Language very well but, I would like to try to help with the translating. English is my first language and this is my first time ever on a site like this. I enjoy reading Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei so, I want to help get it out faster for everyone. Dec. 6, 2012 username: sqyde Thanks and if this is the wrong place to post this, sorry.
Is volume 4 fully translated? I was wondering because aside from the Preamble it also doesn't have a "full text" so i was wondering if some little edits were required or if translators were waiting for Preamble to be done before the full text went up. --Black Swordsman825
It's a wiki you know, you're free to set it up when it's appropriate (I've done volume 4 now). Also, from what I understand the preamble is the blue page and the character info/glossary of term pages you can see in the illustrations, therefore it isn't really that important since it (the events/timetable of events) is explained in detail within the storyline anyways.--Drowzycow (talk) 19:57, 22 December 2012 (CST)
Hi guys, as I am currently trying to translate the afterwords, I found out that volume 5 does not seem to have one? Can anyone help me confirm this with the Japanese raws? From all the Chinese sites that I go to there aren't any that have include in an afterword for volume 5. Thanks! Royaloyalz (talk) 10:36, 7 February 2013 (CST)
Well I actually checked the raws myself, and have realised that there is actually an afterword for volume 5 as well. However, as it seems like the Chinese translation sites that I went to do not have them, I can only hope that some Japanese to English translator would be kind enough to help translate it for us. -- Royaloyalz (talk) 18:05, 14 February 2013 (CST)
Can anyone link or send me the raw for volume 5? I want to read the machine translation of the 3 middle chapters. Seeing as how it's all character development, I'd like to know more before moving on with the story. --Mufarasu (talk) 16:19, 25 February 2013 (CST)
Hey guys. I don't know if this was already asked or not, but why are the 3 middle chapters of volume 5 not translated? Just wondering because I like to read thing in order. --Casary (talk) 22:28, 9 March 2013 (CST)
It completely depends upon if I translator picks up the chapter, as translators are allowed to choose single chapters. Skipping Volume 5 wouldn't affect the story as there "Side Stories" to the main plot :3. Although i would also like them translated.
I've been waiting like a year, Please finish the last bits of volume 5 so I can continue reading this series , I know its side stories but it got a number volume so I cant skip it --Godoffire (talk) 20:30, 28 November 2013 (CST)
There is only one story in volume 5 that has even the slightly effect on the story, and it's already been translated. The rest can be skipped which is why their not translated. Your missing out on a damn epic story if your still hang up in Volume 5 side stories.
Chronology is the most important thing, And a series with Side Story Volumes with numbers demands that they be read, Its not Toaru where the Sidestories are Outside of the numbering and can be skipped --Godoffire (talk) 11:03, 29 November 2013 (CST)
You most likely will be waiting for awhile then. Most of the translators are focused on getting the main storyline caught up with the released novels. Only when that is done will they maybe consider working on vol 5. --Bilagaana (talk) 14:49, 29 November 2013 (CST)
I like how I commented that on my bday just for chapter 2 to be added 2 days later THERE ARE GODS! Now I just need Chapter 3 to be finished and I can finally continue this series --Godoffire (talk) 20:29, 1 April 2014 (CDT)
Apparently I'm not the only one with OCD who hates ignoring the chronological order. I read a bit of the volume and thought it might be a side story volume, which it exactly was. Then I found comfort knowing I'm not alone: Baka-Tsuki - The Otaku's OCD group therapy. Group hug? --Turix (talk) 03:43, 23 May 2014 (CDT)
Therapy Hugs are Great. This is literally driving me crazy, I mean I can endure the Non numbered side stories being ignored, I can endure the novels taking months to translate, but what I can not endure is the novels being translated while there sits a single chapter that I cant continue the series without just getting ignored, Someone Just please do this. --Godoffire (talk) 04:19, 8 June 2014 (CDT)
- Well, the thing is that the alloted translator will make a year of total inactivity in a month and a half or so. Maybe by then we could ask Sashiko to give it a go.--Kemm (talk) 06:58, 6 July 2014 (CDT)
Some chapters use "Public Moral Committee", others "Public Morals Committee" (I prefer the latter). Also "Club Management Group" vs "Club Activities Group".
i think "Public Morals Committee" and "Club Management Group" souds better. Also please do sign your post with ~~~~ ..::Gradient::.. 14:13, 1 February 2013 (CST)
I just had to say this, was anyone else thinking that Tatsuya made a Gundam when they kept mentioning the mobile suit he developed? That picture with the tank didn't help either. I just kept seeing everything turn into a mecha battle lol. Anyone else or am I the only one who got brainwashed like that by the Gundam franchise? --Mufarasu (talk) 15:10, 11 March 2013 (CDT)
well i was also thinking the same thing at that mobile suit that he developed, but it turns out that it was something like a fullbody armor with all kinds of resistance something. while reading the last few chapters of volume 7 it feels like something like this. IS(Infinite Stratos) vs Gundams in my imagination. V33 15:21, 11 March 2013 (CDT)
I would think the cover page would have shown you what to expect, as it is already there in full (black) color. If anything it just looks like a all black pilot suit... In any case, the 'mobile' or 'mobility' suit is basically your flying armor, except since its technomagical its more logical having the 'flight capacity' CAD module as the whole suit, instead of wings or a broomstick. It does show something more practical compared to what more contemporary fiction shows. And yes, I was also hoping for mecha to appear since the cover had a pilot suit... laughed when the pilot suit Was the whole thing.--Gabgrave (talk) 04:41, 12 March 2013 (CDT)
I just wanted to take a moment to say thanks to all of those who's work brings us this project. So thank you.
I tried reading auto-translated Chinese translations, one already translated here for testing and it's even worse than I expected. Seriously, thank you for taking the time to do this, I love this novel and my only regret is not being able to help with the translation myself. --Tortex (talk) 16:40, 18 April 2013 (CDT)
Latest Update List
I just want to ask permission to edit the last entry on the latest update list (or you guys could edit it for me, that would be really great), just a minor one 'Vokume 8' to 'Volume 8'. Thanks a lot. - SkyZenith (talk) 5:47, 30 May 2013 (CDT)
- Hmm.. I don't need to keep up with CDT time do I? Not that hard, but I am proud living down under. - SkyZenith (talk) 20:50 30 May 2013 (EAST)
- Done (I accept any responsibility if I've crossed any lines); from my experience so far, no one seems to mind if 99.9% certainty spelling/grammar careless errors are discreetly corrected, even if the corrector is not formally registered for a project. (As a general mode of operation, I mark the edit as a minor edit and leave a brief description of the change(/its reasoning) in the summary. For more ambiguous things, if I note something in Discussion and enough time passes without a reply or a change, I change it just in case (and keep watch to see if someone has a reason to change it back).) -Multipartite (talk) 06:12, 30 May 2013 (CDT)
- Edit: By the way, how did you change your signature? *curiosity* I have my time zone set to 'Asia/Tokyo', and I see 'Recent changes' and History pages with times consistent with that, but my signature is still CDT. I don't mind leaving it like that, since it presumably helps others compare my writing times to others' with litle confusion (and since I can check the History if I forget), but I don't see a way to change it in 'My preferences' and would like to learn about such a way if it exists (out of a desire to know those things I as yet do not). -Multipartite (talk) 06:18, 30 May 2013 (CDT)
- I am but an unregistered user here at BT, so unfortunately I don't have any signatures or anything of that sort. So yeah I really can't talk about it. But if you are talking about the time thing on the last part, is it safe to assume that it's all been preset? Cause I do it manually just for the formalities.
- Hmm... I do see some grammatical errors every now and then, but my thinking is that the translator probably made it that way willingly. Glad to be of help though. - SkyZenith (talk) 21:38 30 May 2013 (EAST)
- Ahh. Manual writing out? Though it won't include your chosen name, four consecutive tildes should still automatically make a signature which makes it easier to match what you say with an entry in a Discussion's History. (One option would be to first write your chosen name manually, then leave the formal signature to the tildes.)
- There are cases where characters have distinct/characteristic speaking styles, but there are also glaring cases where normal fallibility is far more plausible than intention (as with spelling errors). To be on the safe side, best to change only things that one can feel nearly certain about (and that no one has objected to in the past). -Multipartite (talk) 17:22, 30 May 2013 (CDT)
- Hmm... I do see some grammatical errors every now and then, but my thinking is that the translator probably made it that way willingly. Glad to be of help though. - SkyZenith (talk) 21:38 30 May 2013 (EAST)
- I didn't know you can do that with tildes.. Thanks for the info. I was just copying whatever I could here at the discussion page since I am not really a user, so do expect me to make a few beginner-like commands.
- On a side note, does the tildes only match the CDT time zone? I'm quite intrigued. SkyZenith 20:19, 1 June 2013 (EAST)
- So it seems! (The CDT-matching.) That's why I in turn was intrigued when it looked as though you had a way to make them give a non-CDT time zone. Rather than taking my word for it, I suggest you try the four tildes at least once to confirm to yourself(/your brain) that it functions (and if something goes wrong, to find out why and correct the source). (Essentially, it should be ~ ~ ~ ~ without the three spaces.) -Multipartite (talk) 01:19, 2 June 2013 (CDT)
- Incidentally, this is what it looks like when not logged in. (Posting now with a hyphen and four tildes after having logged out.) -126.96.36.199 01:21, 2 June 2013 (CDT)
Dengeki Bunko Magazine: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Ninendo
I have a question is the "Dengeki Bunko Magazine: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Ninendo" that you uploaded it's Magazine Illustrations - is the double seven arc? and when it will be release in a light novel version- what will be it's arc number or it's volumes numbers ?
- It's the double 7 arc, so starts covering the events in the Tatsuya's second year. From memory, those chapters should start after this arc is complete; I think it'll end up being started as volume 13. Maybe 12 depending on how volume 11 goes.. --Drowzycow (talk) 08:37, 26 June 2013 (CDT)
IT HAS BEGUN, IT HAS BLOODY BEGUN. *SQUEELL!* http://mahouka.jp
- Nothing to be happy about. They will probably make another failed adaptation like SAO. Just look at previous works of the director or what Madhouse did to Kaminai. The worst thing is that we can expect americans buying licence for novels after the anime, and B-T dropping the project. Another title I'll never come to finish.--Antanaru (talk) 14:29, 7 October 2013 (CDT)
- Sorry for the late reply. Well, how should I put it to keep it short... Let's say butchered character design was enough to completely put me off. Then we have the overall feeling (or atmosphere) and some plot points. I can say the same about Kikou Shoujo... for that matter. I'm quite enjoying the novel but anime is unwatachable for said reasons. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind minor changes but when anime feels and looks like something completely different than the original, just with the same names, something is wrong.
- I don't want to go into a lengthy discussion about quality of LN adaptations so let me just sum it up like this: I don't care about the anime as long as I can read the rest of the story. Of course without waiting years for some US company to catch up with B-T and then dropping the thing.--Antanaru (talk) 12:55, 17 October 2013 (CDT)
Don't you mean "elaborate"? i'm pretty sure that's the correct word... not to be a pain, just for clarification purposes. considering that "electorate" means a collective of individuals who gather to vote for governmental purposes, like the senate and such? (Edit: author = Tintexan24)
I had trouble watching the PV on the website, but was able to view it at youtube watch?v=RiuznXhx4_Q . The art style is a little worryingly simplistic (reminiscent of Vocaloid visual quality?), but I have no complaints regarding the two main characters and look forward to seeing what is done with it.
In recent season, 'Campione!' is my freshest memory of an anime adaptation which did not adequately succeed, but it was nevertheless enjoyable to watch. No matter what, there will always be dissatisfaction with how much ends up not adapted from a novel, but I (aside from a certain incorrect error message) was thoroughly satisfied by the SAO anime adaptation.
...It would be a deep shame to not be able to keep reading new Rettousei volumes, but on the other hand most main climaxes have already taken place. Granted, I would be deeply interested in reading about Miyuki taking over the Yotsuba family, or about Miyuki and Tatsuya's super-babies, but if the translation was shut down I would hopefully be able to focus on the wonderful volumes that have been translated thus far and be happy (and grateful) that I had a chance to read them.
Horrible-quality animation comes around every once in a while, but most anime adaptations these days are quite good. An anime of a beloved series is something to be interested in, to be curious about, and definitely something to be happy about. (Though unrelated, the studio is completely different from the one behind the SAO adaptation.) If (in the worst case scenario) the visual quality in fact turns out to make it painfully unwatchable, one can always minimise the window and listen to it like an audio book. In any case, it would take some quite serious mangling for one to not be able to get happiness from this anime, and mangling of that level is rare indeed (though admittedly not unwitnessed). -Multipartite (talk) 18:18, 7 October 2013 (CDT)
I was referring to the fact he said failed SAO adaption. Although I will agree with you on the "Campione" adaptation.
Just have to wait and see. A lot of the adaptations don't quite work... they seem to shift the IP to target pubescent males at the expense of story. I'm just not a big fan of GRATUITOUS fan-service. It has its place, but overall I prefer "plot" to be measured in chapters rather than cup-size. Grimjakk (talk) 13:29, 8 October 2013 (CDT)
- Having watched the first episode, I feel like they did a decent job of trying to adapt the huge amount of information included in the novels to the anime. My biggest concerns are along the same lines as you Grimjakk, I worry that the darker aspects of Miyuki and Tatsuya will be glossed over. Lastly, I am worried over the character of Mayumi and Tatsuya. They may have difficultly pulling off Tatsuya's demeanor, and they seemed to have taken Mayumi in the opposite direction of the novels. TheAEmix (talk) 09:51, 9 April 2014 (CDT)
I feel like we'll be better served if someone takes the project off zwabbit's hands. He hasn't made any progress and having his name there prevents anyone else from picking it up.
- You have it the other way around, the regular translators don't seem to be interested on taking on the two very side character side stories, so we are lucky to even have zwabbit's irregular updates. If zwabbit truely has disappeared, the only translators who might be up for it are Dreyakis/Sashiko and they probably won't jump on it until after volume 12 (if volume 13 comes out before then you won't even see them jump on it until after that...)--188.8.131.52 05:12, 12 November 2013 (CST)
So now that it is over, anyone else have any thoughts about the anime? What is the general consensus here? In my opinion, they screwed it up big time. I was SOOPER stoked when I heard about the anime. I even went out of my way to tell my friends to watch it because it should be epic. In the end though, it feels like they focused too much on the important scenes but ignored the things in between that make those scenes important. I understand that they have a limited amount of time, but they managed to get enough of a following to take up a 2 month (25 episode) slot, why couldnt they break it up into using only the first 3 volumes volumes instead of forcing down the 4th? There was definitely enough content. After all was said and done, Miyuki seemed like a Sakura-gone-brocon (Original Naruto) where she stood back and cried as Tatsuya did all the heavy lifting. Tatsuya was a badass (like he should be) but the show made him too OP instead of emphasizing the leash that Miyuki has over him. And all the other characters were virtually backups/nonexistent. In my mind they wasted what should have been gold. 3/10 Bunnybacon (talk) 17:45, 14 October 2014 (CDT)
ɪ feel than may have been the point only focusinɡ on Tatsuya like that (i mean he is the main focus). I did enjoy the anime and felt it was rushed through it a bit; I would have liked to see more of the others in action as well I love subplots. But all in all I would give it a 6 out of 10.
I liked the anime, inasmuch as it was nice to see everything animated, but I think they tried to pack too much story into a 26 episode season. They ended up skimping on the character development of the others, making for a more boring experience overall. Case in pointː Mayumi. Mayumi is a delightful contrast to Tatsuya and the others, but in the anime, they cut out most of her character, leaving her as a cool beauty. Basically Miyuki without the Bro-con.̴ I wouldn't have minded if they spent more time in the 9 schools arc, giving the other characters more chances to shine instead of this being the Tatsuya-show.
I asked just to be sure it's not a side story or the likes. If it is the second year it would explain some of the illustrations of it. Poor Tatsuya will have to deal with his new kouhai... Oddmoonlight (talk) 01:39, 19 November 2013 (CST)
- Pfffft, seriously, it's the other way round. Poor Kouhai LOL --larethian (talk) 09:06, 24 November 2013 (CST)
I wonder who the new boy is ? maybe a member of the 10 master clans like mayumi and katsuto ? http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=User_talk:Ashwathdragon 24 NOVEMBER 2013
- I doubt that since there are only Saegusa, Juumonji and Yotsuba around the first high Syfer (talk) 12:08, 24 November 2013 (CST)
- From what i heard the boy has the number 7 in his name.. V33 12:46, 24 November 2013 (CST)
- mayumi doesnt have a little brother, so it might be one of those other 16 or 18 families Syfer (talk) 12:56, 24 November 2013 (CST)
- Did you guys read the last chapter in volume 11 The Ojou-sama's Magnificent Day Off? I think you can get an answer to some of the new characters there... Oddmoonlight (talk) 13:08, 24 November 2013 (CST)
- the new guy is called shippō takuma and the girls are the saegusa twins kasumi and izumi Syfer (talk) 13:56, 24 November 2013 (CST)
Why are we listing volume that is not released yet? Shouldn't we wait at least till it gets a proper ISBN number? SinsI 25 January 2014
Because this prevents certain people to list it even though we usually wait for a proper ISBN number. In a nutshell: if those in charge do it, it prevents constant reverts, editing, complaints and sermons we would get if someone who doesn't follow the standards of this novel wiki did it. SXIII (talk) 11:56, 25 January 2014 (CST)
Isn't there any one working on chapter 2? There's no one in the registration page either.Ari 19:52, 27 June 2014 (CDT)
Not to nitpick the translations, but pupils are always black, while iris' are the part of the eye that has different coloring. I do not speak or read any language other than English fluently. As such I just wish to point this out to the translators.
- It's a common mistranslation as the japanese word "hitomi" can mean either of the two or the two of them at once, but most dictionaries list "pupil" as the first meaning (this is why you shouldn't take the first definition on a dictionary and instead look for the one best suited)--Kemm (talk) 06:56, 6 July 2014 (CDT)
Volume 8 nitpick
In chapter 9 it is stated that lieutenant isn't an air force rank. Perhaps a footnote should be added to indicate this as the case in 2092, as Lieutenant IS, and has been since the inception of Japanese military aviation, an existing rank (in all branches of service -- JDF, JIA, or JIN).
I'm that guy who made the post regarding chapter 8 of Volume 2 on the Facebook group. To repeat what I said there, I feel that the way a part of this chapter (namely, the below part) was translated gave me a different impression to the original text, and would like to ask some questions on how it was done.
[For example, in our dojo, the earliest we would teach any techniques to the students would be at least 6 months after enrollment." ~Those that cannot learn from the people around them and solely rely on being taught, are utterly delusional."]
Can someone please make PDF files for this light novel?
I tried but I really suck at those kinds on things. I don't mind reading online but I prefer PDF files. So, if someone is able to convert the finished volumes to a similar format as "A Certain Magical Index" PDF files, I would really appreciate it and if not, that's cool too. I managed to make really crappy PDF files with the "Web 2 PDF" add on but reading online is way better than those. I'm gonna copy and paste this same exact message for all my fave light novels. I've been using this web site for over a year now and I just made an account so I could ask this.
Go to this website: https://www.mediafire.com/?6a6tgxa6o18vk#tvasb4muurej0 Credits go to the respective creators
- Hint: you can find the PDF version of most Light Novel simply by typing the LN name and add "pdf" at the end into Google.
Thank you very much!!!!!!!!
You can also use a "save as MHT" plugins for firefox, IE, or Chrome to save local copies of the chapters. That saves webpages into a single file container, WYSIWYG, and can be opened on pretty much any phone or tablet browser as well. It's good for preserving the exact formatting and appearance of the webpage source, which copypasta pdf's don't do so well on; and since it saves links as well, it can still get back to the page in question to open picture thumbnails or links in the text.
what I do when I want ebooks to most projects on baka-tsuki is use the ebook generator: http://ln.m-chan.org/v3/ and then use an online format converter - in your case just search "epub to pdf" and you'll find lots of free online converters. @Sidp2201 - btw, I don't see the "download as pdf" button --Kai Ran (talk) 06:35, 3 October 2014 (CDT)
14 vol illustrations
Hi all. I`m one of one of ru translators and have vol 14 edited scans. I almost upload them, but big pictures wont upload. So if someone can do it here`s links http://i.imgur.com/qf88ShO.jpg http://i.imgur.com/BEyrvrk.jpg Rezel (talk) 18:55, 3 October 2014 (CDT)
I haven't seen the source material but why is it called "New Soren" rather than something like "New Soviet Union". I feel that the latter would be more clear even though the meaning is implied to be the Russia area (can be deduced when reading about the other world powers such as USNA, Great Asian Alliance, etc.). If there is a specific reason for it, feel free to ignore this.
Why there aren't the volume covers by the volumes like in other project pages? I think they were there before, but what's happened? non∞ 11:53, 10 November 2014 (CST)
Volume 14, chapter 1 editing questions
Towards the beginning of the chapter there is a sentence that reads
What was added was not only overhead tracks where small-scale compact train-type public transportation facilities [Cabinets] run through. Apart from that new stuff, traditional stuff and various facilities large and small were added to the town scenery. A [large temple on top of a small hill], Kyuuchouji, was one of them.
My question is what exactly is the "stuff" that is being referred to? My initial thought on editing this sentence is to change it to read;
What was added was not only overhead tracks with small-scale compact train-type public transportation [Cabinets] running through. In addition to that new infrastructure, traditional infrastructure and buildings large and small were added to the town scenery. A [large temple on top of a small hill], Kyuuchouji, was one of them.
I am hesitant to make changes such as these because while I may think it is better, I am not familiar with the original language intent and do not want to change something that would change the meaning of the original text. I'm also very new to wiki editing and so will be learning much as time passes.
Thanks for you patience. Beachbum426, 10:22 am Est, December 7 2014
Oh Yen Press, how I hate having to end a story so early. Good thing I didn't start reading volume 14. I learned my lesson with NGNL. Anywho, I wish the author the best of luck with his sales. And I guess I'll buy the books in 8 years once Yen press catches up, or when I finish learning Japanese. 14/18 of my current reading list has gotten licensed. :(. I'm still waiting on Hidan no Aria and Spice and Wolf. All Night (talk) 20:10, 9 March 2015 (CDT)
Just to let you know- the translators wrote on the forum a few days ago that they finished translating 70%-90% of volume 14 and have already started working on 3 chapters from volume 15 (3 translators - 1 per chapter) , well, I think that according to the policy we should let them finish these volumes.--Yoyoyo5678 (talk)20:27, 9 March 2015 (CDT)
That should be fine according to policy. The first English-language volume is scheduled to be released by Yen Press in October of 2015 afterall. http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/03/09-1/yen-press-to-publish-the-irregular-at-magic-high-school-light-novels --20:38, 9 March 2015 (CDT)
So the question here is, who will pick this up outside of Baka Tsuki? Because let's be serious, a series like this will get pick up really fast. As for the licensed version, I doubt they would get very far with it considering the LN is pro-Japan, has incest undertone, and a semi-harem to booth, which are not receive well in the US. The worse that could happen is that Yen Press let it slowly die like it did with Hidan no Aria. Takatathien (talk)
@taka it was dmg which licensed hidan. and can i have a suggestion for the admins, can we take out recommendation bar since i feel like it contributed to mahouka licensing. the random one can stay but please take away recommendation.
Can someone please Translate Volume 15 just to at least finish so we dont have that massive cliff hanger!!!!!!!???????????? Please!!!!!!
Is there anyway to upload like the last 4 Volumes just so US as readers can go back and reread it? I know i can't wait 5 years for them to catch up and i always enjoy going back and re-reading whenever i have the time and Its just sad to see it get licensed and also a very good thing for it as well, especially for the author. I know its selfish of me but i would really like to just have the PDF again to download it and just copy and paste all the words or something. But I may just be complaining. but anyways best of luck.
uhhh... Volume 14 is missing CH.3 cant start reading D:
Go here to read the next volumes: http://lknovel.lightnovel.cn/main/vollist/458.html Ceberus (talk) 1:18, 23 March 2015 (CST)
Are you...our Lord and Savior, Translator?
Well I am spending this next week to learn how to read the language and can have Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei and a few others done by the end of July start of August at the last. Ceberus (talk) 12:25, 29 March 2015 (CST)
Well, no one really own the translation of the novel now that no one continue translating this, so as long as you keep your promise, we can wait 3 months ^^ But seriously, if you think you cannot do this, at anytime, please let us know so that other translators who are willing to take this can give it a try.
End of July (July 27th) is exactly the time limit indicated in the Cessation Policy for volume 14 chapter 3, the only one left in that volume. According to the same policy, translation of further volumes cannot be hosted in this wiki. I would appreciate if you managed to finish said chapter before then, so thanks in advance.--Kemm (talk)
Are you really going to abandon this project?
It'll be ages before YenPress finish this novel so can't you do like they did with Highschool DXD and Toaru Majutsu no Index and translate just the more recent chapters?--EduRitta (talk) 02:05, 13 September 2015 (UTC)
In reguards to Toaru I believe they only licensed the first section of it and not New Testament so they continue to translate that. The novel for High school DXD is not even licensed in english so it definitely can't be used as an example. Also if it were so simple as translating later chapters they would probably allow it. However if you allow one series to get away with it others will argue the same thing and eventually Baka-Tsuki could get taken down for Illegal DMCA infactions. Also if just one series was allowed to get away with it what will other people who had their favorite series go through the same thing think? I mean Hidan no Aria (sure the company gave up after a while but 1-5 are still licensed) was in an even worse position than Mahouka in reguards to english release speed as it was 1 volume a year as opposed to 2-4 volumes a year. It still got taken down even though it was at around 10 translated volumes at the time. So if you care about Baka-Tsuki let them do their policy says. If you are still unhappy find a translator willing to translate it on their own personal blog that way Baka-Tsuki does not have to deal with it. Though chances are it will turn out how the original Solitary translations did when it continued translating DanMachi.
--Yascob99 (talk) 07:37, 13 September 2015 (UTC)