Talk:Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance:Names and Terminology Guidelines
Question, should german nouns be capitalized like in German or should English case convention be used for German loan words? Also what is the correct capitalization for the terminalogy? Is it "elemental waffe", "Elemental waffe", "elemental Waffe" or "Elemental Waffe"? Will help for my random edits. --22.214.171.124 15:41, 24 March 2012 (CDT)
I think we should be following English convention. I am currently treating it as a common term, example like the word weapon. --KuroiHikari 21:15, 24 March 2012 (CDT)
Question, shouldn't Freya's surname translated as Grandol or something of the sort since it ends with a "ﾙ" rather than a "ﾘ"? Also wouldn't Greyworth's surname translated as Cielmais or something more appropriate since there isn't a separation between シエル and マイス, like there is with フィアナ・レイ・オルデシア = Fiana Rei Oludesia? --7yoru
I find no mention of Restia in the Names of Spirits section; If I remember correctly one of her names as an elemental waffe was "Vorpal Sword", was it not? SonodaYuki (talk) 21:57, 9 February 2013 (CST)
- 1 Contract spirit vs Contracted spirit
- 2 姫巫女
- 3 Demon King
- 4 Demon -> Mystic
- 5 Darkness Elemental Lord's name
- 6 Summoning Incantations
- 7 Thought speech
- 8 Elemental Lord
- 9 Partial listing of spell or technique incantations and names
Contract spirit vs Contracted spirit
I believe both works but correct me if I'm wrong.
So, it'll be good if we could decide on 1 and set all of them to be the same
Actually, I think they went with witch princess, the only issue I have with that is that there is a witch rank/aptitude thingy, which might confused readers between witch and 姫巫女.--KuroiHikari 01:48, 12 April 2012 (CDT)
Since we are addressing this as a status, shouldn't we use "Demon King" instead of "demon king" ?
Demon -> Mystic
Sort of, it's relative to the magical and strange nature of the word "魔". However, "魔" is a pain to be honest. Actually, now I'm not too sure about the change, mainly, thinking back, Ellis refers to her spirit using a lot of "evil".
Hmm, demon beast for example is used for 魔獣 in quite a few places. Actually, I'm not too sure what the difference is, but demon spirit feels more it --KuroiHikari (Talk | ) 08:07, 30 August 2012 (CDT)
Ok, so it's "demonic" vs "mystic", well based on my little knowledge, the word in question can be linked to both "demons" and "magic"(like magi), is that right? Well, it is a matter of which fits better. Personally, I prefer using "mystic" as "demonic" has a negative connotation to me. We do refer to things like unicorns as mystical beasts. But, in the context of the "demonic mirror spirit", "demonic" would fit more? Zakashi (talk) 08:09, 30 August 2012 (CDT)
It's kind of like the difference between demon king vs demonic king, with me biasing toward demon XX. They just don't describe the thing in the same way. I'll consult someone else about demon vs mystic I guess. --KuroiHikari (Talk | ) 08:23, 30 August 2012 (CDT)
Ok, I thought over this, and find "Demon" better fitting, although "mystic/mystical wind spirit" is nice =D. First, Ellis refers to her wind spirit using "evil" in her recitals. Then, the jaw spirit (demon spirit) is describe pretty much quite terrifying or hideous. So, the demon trait here, I guess, is a more beastly/demonic appearance? That leaves us with the noun form or the adjective form discussion. --KuroiHikari (Talk | ) 08:04, 31 August 2012 (CDT)
I'm alright with both. "Demonic" should be more apt as a description, using "demon" seems to be suggesting that the spirit is a demon other than being a spirit? Zakashi (talk) 09:05, 31 August 2012 (CDT)
Darkness Elemental Lord's name
レン・アツシュドール - Specifically the second half. It doesn't seem like a small tsu to me no matter how I look at it (Otherwise it would be Ashdoll), any suggestions? Florza (talk) 06:57, 22 September 2012 (CDT)
You might be right on this one, at least for Blade Dance. I'm too lazy to check but I'm pretty sure there are size differences for Campione's furigana. Ren Ashdoll it is. Florza (talk) 11:08, 22 September 2012 (CDT)
旧き血の契約に従い、我を守る剣となりて我が下に馳せ参じ給え! (Fianna) Shouldn't it be ancient blood contract, instead of 'contract of the old blood'? You did get the blood contract part correct for Claire's, was wondering why this one is different. Also, you could try 'hasten forth to do my bidding' for the last part. And for the first part of the summoning line, I believe there was a certain 'kensei no kishi' - a knight who was also sword saint, who serves the king of the child of man. Well, I'm not so certain how to phrase that one for now..... Florza (talk) 02:32, 8 October 2012 (CDT)
Why has 精霊王 been rendered as Elemental Lord? I'm assuming it was not mentioned in furigana but is a stylistic preference. 精霊 has been translated as "Spirit" everywhere else. If it was translated this way to match the change of "Spirit User" to "Elementalist" then shouldn't all mentions of "Spirit" be changed to "Elemental" like "Fire Elemental," "Earth Elemental," etc. Also, why did 王 become "Lord" rather than "King"? I admit that my Japanese reading experience is mostly limited to my college textbooks, manga and novels, but I simply can't understand why this translation was decided.
Admittedly the "Elemental Lord" translation also bothered me because 精霊姫 was changed from "Spirit Princess" to "Queen" for some reason according to the Recent Changes section. I've seen 姫 translated variously as "lady," "maiden," and as a way to complement young girls, but rarely if ever as "queen" at least from what I can remember. Also, the relationship between each 精霊王 and their 精霊姫 in the novel is such that there should not be such a change in the way of translating their respective terms, even going so far as to remove the translation of 精霊 from 精霊姫.
Of course, if there was actually furigana explaining all this, then I'm sorry for wasting your time, and please ignore me so that I can wallow in mortification in a corner by myself with a dark cloud over my head. ;)
Also, I know this has probably been discussed somewhere sometime but I did not come across this great piece of work earlier so I never bought the novels or observed the beginning stages of translation. Please excuse me if it has been explained before; I was wondering about this and decided to ask instead of debating possible reasons in my head. –Junky (talk) 19:29, 21 May 2013 (CDT)
The use of elemental and spirit was discussed in the forums over quite a few pages. At least one batch of discussions on it start around here, and spread over the following 5-10 pages. Summary: (Most? or All?) of the translators were favoring interpreting everything as 'elemental'. Some others (mostly readers) posted opinions in favor of 'spirit' (*whistles innocently*). Then translators decided to convert some usage of 'elemental' back to 'spirit'. As far as the specific terms you brought up, and whether that discussion I linked to addresses those issues, I'm not a translator so I have no idea. --Cthaeh (talk) 20:03, 21 May 2013 (CDT)
- Thanks a lot for that link. I think I got the gist of it, particularly why 精霊姫 was translated as "Queen" (though I still feel that its odd). However, perhaps all the "Spirits" should be made into "Elementals" for consistency? –Junky (talk) 20:14, 21 May 2013 (CDT)
"Why has 精霊王 been rendered as Elemental Lord? I'm assuming it was not mentioned in furigana but is a stylistic preference." Your initial assumption is already mistaken. --Zzhk (talk) 20:31, 21 May 2013 (CDT)
- Haha, so I clearly made a redundant post. Thanks for the clarification and sorry for the inconvenience! –Junky (talk) 20:47, 21 May 2013 (CDT)
Thank you zzhk for settling this for me. For Queen, it's based on the titles of Calamity Queen and Lost Queen as references. Spirits stayed as spirit purely because I don't want lots of people msging on my talk-page.--KuroiHikari (Talk | ) 03:53, 22 May 2013 (CDT)
Partial listing of spell or technique incantations and names
First off, this list is NOT comprehensive; there are definitely terms missing (and maybe a few improperly categorized). I only started tracking them while reading about halfway through, and even after that point I will still have missed some. Without the original JP next to it, it doesn't really belong on the actual terminology page, but I like to pretend it has some value so I'm posting it here. --Cthaeh (talk) 19:41, 20 January 2015 (CST)
Updated after v14 and finishing up editing. There are now a few spells with multiple slightly varying entries on the list, and I haven't made those consistent in the text. I do not expect to update this list for future volumes. --Cthaeh (talk) 03:00, 1 January 2016 (UTC)
- "Thou's ice heart, aware of my anger and lament— Blood Aria!"
- "O Flames, let a night of red descend upon the earth -- Crimson Judgment."
- "O true flame carved upon the ancient bloodline, dwell in my hand to devour flames—" // "This being the flame that reduces all creation to oblivion—End of Vermilion!"
- “O’ true flames, carved in blood of ancient times, dwell in my hand and devour flames—” // "Namely, the true flame beyond this world—End of Vermillion!"
- "Let all shadows be incinerated to ashes -- Evil Flame!"
- "O Flame, dance a magnificent rondo -- Fire Burst!"
- "Eat this, scorching conflagration --- Fireball!"
- "Go forth and devour, scorching ball of conflagration -- Fireball!"
- "Incinerate until nothing remains, O scorching conflagration -- Fireball!"
- "Take this, incinerating conflagration --- Fireball!"
- "Keeper of the burning furnace, release your wrath -- Flame Chain!"
- "O Flames, capture my enemies -- Flame Chain!"
- "The sleeping king of the volcano, release your breath—Flame Howl."
- "--Block it, Flame Wall!"
- "Red castle walls, intercepting armies ten thousand strong -- Flame Wall."
- "Not even time can escape a frozen fate, conflagrating flames of absolute zero -- Frost Blaze!"
- "Not even time can escape a frozen fate—Frost Blaze!"
- Freezing even time, the absolute-zero conflagration—Frost Blaze.
- "--May your pure white sighs give form to eternal frozen ice -- Frost Prison!"
- "Dance, crimson flame that invites ruins—Hell Blaze!"
- "Dance, I call upon the crimson flames of destruction -- Hell Blaze!"
- "Dance, oh crimson flame that calls upon destruction— Hell Blaze!"
- "Go forth and dance, the crimson flames summoning destruction -- Hell Blaze!"
- "--Come forth from the furnace of conflagration, Hellound."
- "Come forth from the furnace of conflagration—Hellhounds!"
- "—Come out from the gates of fiery hell, scorching hunting hounds." (Hellhounds)
- "One of the Demon King's servants, ruling over blazing flames of crimson, show thyself at this time and place—" //...//"Thou shalt display the might of berserk violence—the hell flame spirit named Ifrit."
- "—Time to hunt, Lava Hound!"
- "---Born of nothingness, the flames governing destruction!"
- "—Come out from the gates of fiery hell, scorching hunting hounds."
- 'Flames, let there be light.
- "Dragon king of ice who sleeps in a prison of frost, release your breath—Breath of Ice!"
- "Dance, a storm of ice summoning destruction—Diamond Dust!"
- "---Answering to my command, come forth, demon ice spirit Fenrir!"
- "Come on out, the beast of the freezing fangs of ice—Fenrir!"
- "O king ruling over cold winter, I beseech thee to grant unto me thy protection—Field of Cold!"
- "Freezing fangs of ice, go forth and pierce—Freezing Arrow!"
- "Freezing fangs, pierce – «Freezing Arrow»!"
- "Freezing Ice Fang, pierce— Freezing Arrow!"
- "Freezing ice demon breath --- Freezing Fang!"
- "I understand—Freezing Rain!"
- "O hammer that punishes the proudly strong—Frost Fall!"
- "--May your pure white sighs give form to eternal frozen ice -- Frost Prison!"
- -- Blossoming without waiting for winter, Ice Break!"
- "Imprison my enemies in an eternal curse of ice, until the time of judgment—Ice Forest!"
- "I won't let them... Go forth and pierce, Ice Prison that freezes everything!"
- " "O Winds of Ice, perform a dance of madness -- Ice Storm!" "
- "Goddess of ice and snow, by that frosted hand, crush my enemies — Icicle Hammer!"
- "O primordial ice, shatter mine enemy—Icicle Spear!"
- "Go forth and blow, raging storm of ice—Icicle Storm!"
- "—Ray of Frost!"
- "—I hereby summon thee, capable of defending against the breath of dragons and the arms of giants, the frozen shield—!"
- --Capable of piercing the scales of dragons, O Sword of Sagacity! // --Now turn into endless blades to vanquish mine enemy! (Rinslet Freezing Arrow multiplier)
- ---Oh freezing beast with Ice-teeth, merciless hunter of the forest. ---Now is the time to abide the contract of blood, hasten to my side as commanded!
- "I am the witch who gallops across the blue sky -- Air Wings!"
- "O wind, grant me protection—Fly!"
- "—Hailing from the far beyond, the violent demon wind spirit, Simorgh!"
- "Courageous wind, grant your blessing to the brave warrior -- Sylphid Feathers!"
- "—Go forth and pierce, evil-vanquishing whirlwind!"
- "O Wind, sweep away mine enemies -- Wind Bombs!"
- "O wind, I beseech thee to sweep away mine enemies—Wind Bombs!"
- "Winds, grant us the hand of divine protection—Wind Wall!"
- "O wind sweeping across the land, please bestow upon this traveler thy protection—"
"—O wind, grant us thy protection."
- "Evil wind, thou, become countless blades and cut up my enemies—"'
- "--Evil winds, go and rampage!"
- "—Evil winds, go forth and rampage!"
- "—Vicious wind, rampage!"
- "—Evil winds, pierce through my sworn enemy's heart, become a demonic spear and lodge within my hand!"
- --Rampaging demonic wind, you are the one who covets severity, you are the embodiment of absolute tyranny! // --In accordance with your greed, sweep away mine enemies!
- "—Then let us depart. O bird of calamity ruling over demonic winds, I beseech thee to use thy wings to guide us towards the correct path!"
- "Respond to the summons of your lord, come forth—Georgios!"
- "Those of small stature, go forth and dance in the moonlit night! —Fairy Flare!"
- "Holy lance that vanquishes darkness -- Lance of Longinus!"
- "With brilliance that illuminates for eternity, the demon vanquishing sacred sword -- Murgleis!"
- "O knight, protect thy vassals—Save the Queen!"
- "Nimbly dancing spirits, please bestow restful slumber upon the warrior -- Sleeping Cloud."
- "--O Knight, thou art the one who prevaileth against the trials of fire!" (Luminaris protection from fire)
- "—O light of healing. Illuminate this person's darkness."
- "—O Sacred Shield of protection!"
- "O benevolent unicorn, heal my body with the light—"
- "O black blade of darkness, capable of crushing the scales of dragons, annihilate mine enemies -- Arc Blast."
- "...Tsk, disappear from my sight -- Hell Blast!"
- "Black thunder that incinerates even souls to nothingness -- Hell Blast!"
- "O black lightning, even capable of incinerating souls to oblivion—Hell Blast!"
- "You, O true darkness—Pierce!"
- "Go forth and pierce, all-annihilating demon lightning of punishment—Vorpal Blast!"
- "O endless darkness, slaughter mine enemy—Vorpal Blast!"
- (—O lost darkness, residing in my hand, turn into my strength!)
- "—O darkness, devour the flames to become my strength!"
"—O demon dragon Nidhogg, unleash your wrath in my sword!" //...// "Magical equipment release—Balmung is its name!" // ./././ // "—O dragon, devour my body and unleash your wrath!"
- "--Savor the dragon's roar, Dragon Ray!"
- "O black-fanged dragon spirit, thou, abiding my command, eliminate my enemies—" "—Destroy, NidhoggDragon Spirit!"
- "---Answer to the call of my blood, demonic dragon, rampage!"
- "Crush the universal light, O spirit of the evil black dragon---" // "Thou shalt abide my command and eliminate my enemies!"
- "---Destroy, tyrannical demonic dragon!"
- "—Divine soul of the jet black evil dragon, turn into the power in my hand!"
- "The one who takes everything by force—Bandersnatch."
- "Blow forth and howl, tempest of the demon sword -- Blade Storm!"
- "Soul devouring king of demon swords, slaughter mine enemies—Bloody Strike!"
- "Gather upon my battlefield, to swing that sword without reservation -- Crusaders!"
- "I beseech thee to blow, O wind of hot sand—Desert Storm!"
- "O Earth, may thy roars resound -- Earth Blast!"
- "O demon spirit Mournblade, feed on my blood, turn into my strength!"
- "Ancient guardian of the Holy Kingdom—Thou art Murgleis, the sacred sword defending the country!"
- "O Murgleis, grant sacred protection to thy knight!"
- "O sacred sword that vanquisheth evil, thou shalt turn the enemy into ash—!"
- "O sacred sword that vanquisheth evil, thou shalt turn the enemy into ash—Murgleis!"
- "Magical equipment release—Muspelheim!"
- "I am the shadow that moves in time -- Shade Leap."
- —Dispassionate Queen of Steel, the sacred sword that destroys evil! // —Now form a sword of steel and be the power in my hand!
- "O steel wrapped in endless darkness, the Demon's Sword—Terminus Est Zwei!"
- "...Guh, go forth and slaughter, Titania!"
- "Show yourself, creature of destruction, trailblazer of those who lament the darkness -- Valaraukar!"
- "---Come forth from the gates of Hell, earl that ascends to greatness, demon spirit Void!"
- "O steel, grant me thy power—Weapon Works!"
- "—O burning flame of protection, I beseech thee to grant us thy protection."
- "O light of healing, I beseech thee to grant this person the power of life—"
- "O Salamander born from primordial flames, I hereby beseech thee to make thy way here—"
- "--O Storm, release thy power!"
- "--Water spirits, pure and clear, exorcise this filth."
- "I beseech thee to capture and crush, O cage of gravity!"
- "Absolute Blade Arts, Fourth Form -- Blaze Slash!"
- Absolute Blade Arts, Destructive Form—Bursting Blossom Spiral Blade Dance - Sixteen Consecutive Strikes・Lightning Flare!
- "Absolute Blade Arts - Destructive Form, Bursting Blossom Spiral Blade Dance - Eighteen Consecutive Strikes・Lightning Flare!"
- "Absolute Blade Arts — Destructive Form, Bursting Blossom Spiral Blade Dance - Eighteen Consecutive Strikes・Lightning Flare!"
- "Absolute Blade Arts, Destructive Form --- Bursting Blossom Spiral Blade Dance - Eighteen Consecutive Strikes!"
- "Absolute Blade Arts, Destructive Form -- Bursting Blossom Spiral Blade Dance - Fifteen Consecutive Strikes!"
- "Absolute Blade Arts, Destructive Form -- Bursting Blossom Spiral Blade Dance - Four Consecutive Strikes!"
- "Absolute Blade Arts, Destructive Form -- Bursting Blossom Spiral Blade Dance - Twenty-One Consecutive Strikes!"
- "Absolute Blade Arts, Destructive Form—Bursting Blossom Spiral Blade Dance - Thirty-six Consecutive Strikes!"
- "--Bursting Blossom Spiral Blade Dance - Eighteen Consecutive Strikes!"
- "--Bursting Blossom Spiral Blade Dance - Sixteen Consecutive Strikes!"
- "Absolute Blade Arts -- Sixth Form, Crushing Fang!"
- "Assassination technique—Dual Snakes!"
- "Fahrengart style of the spear—Flash Blossom!"
- "—Fahrengart style of the spear, Flash Gale!"
- "Fahrengart style of the spear, secret technique -- Flash Gale!"
- Fahrengart style of the spear, Flying Strike!"
- Assassination technique—Flashing Fang.
- "Absolute Blade Arts, Final Form --- Last Strike!"
- "Absolute Blade Arts, Final Form—Last Strike・Dual!"
- "Dual sword technique—Orochi!"
- "Absolute Blade Arts, First Form ― Purple Lightning."
- "Assassination technique—Round Dance of the Twin Snakes!"
- "Absolute Blade Arts -- Third Form, Shadowmoon Waltz!"
- "Absolute Blade Arts, Third Form—Shadowmoon Waltz!"
- The Fist of Assassination -- The Tiger's Killing Howl
Soon to be removed (consolidated to above versions for consistency)
Note, a few others in the above list will also likely be removed in the editing I will post to the wiki in the future.
- "—Wait naught for winter and bloom now, Ice Break!"
- Absolute Blade Arts, Third Form—Shadowmoon Waltz.
- "Oh...winds, mow down my enemies— Wind Bombs!"'
- "—Heroic wind, grant thy blessings upon this warrior — Sylphid's Feather!"
Claire's Elemental Waffe
Is Claire Elemental Waffe Flame Blaze or Flametonuge? ~Kamil118